My wallet was stolen at the gym

Options
124»

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It's not clear from your post whether you locked your locker or not.

If you didn't lock your locker, shame on you, and lesson learned.

Personally, I don't bring my wallet into the gym, as there is no need of it in the gym. Our "key" to get into the gym is a bar code on our key chains.

So I walk into the gym with my keys in my pocket, a towel, and gloves.

Leave your wallet in your car (out of sight!)
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I know it's not the fault of the gym, I had my wallet in the locker- underneath my clothing.
    In the 30 minutes that I went to exercise, and go back to get my wallet to get a drink- it was stolen.

Filed a police report. I know this gym is going to be very lackadaisical about it . Sort of "at your own risk" card.
    I am going to ask to have my gym membership suspended, as I'm so distraught at even going back in. Money, cards, and CC all gone. Hubby cancelled the CC.

Just wondering- what would you do- move on? Get over it? Get a new lock?
    I would have been better off leaving my wallet at home.

Sorry if this may have been answered, and I missed it. But did you just place your items in an open locker and close the door? And did not use a lock to lock it?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprised when I open a locker and see someone's stuff there without a lock.

I think you should never tempt people. Sorry, but if you don't secure your valuables someone will take them.

I would blame myself not the gym.

I agree at my gym there are cubbies upstairs for water bottles towels and I see people leaving phones there..and not cheap ones..Iphones, galaxys..I am always like WHAT?? for real??? I know there are cameras on the gym floor but really??wow..:noway:

I see that a lot. Our lockers lock with a £1 coin which you get back when you unlock it with your key. If you haven't got a £1 coin the receptionist will give you one! There is really no excuse not to lock, yet people just throw their stuff in a locker, lean the door shut and walk away from their valuables. :ohwell:

I know accessibility is no excuse for people thieving, but you have to do your own bit of damage limitation.

I have been very lucky three times in my old gym, by having had things returned that I had carelessly left behind by the mirrors where the hair dryers are. Once I left my purse, another time my GHDs and once I dropped my car keys. Each time some wonderful honest individual handed them into reception for me to retrieve. I think there are more nice people out there than dishonest ones. :smile:
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think there are more nice people out there than dishonest ones. :smile:

Agreed. When something bad happens to me, I remind myself of this. Helps calm the rage.

As for carrying valuables, when I belonged to a gym I never carried a purse anyway. I always wore some item of clothing that had zippered/velcro'd pockets. Keys, I.D., etc. always stayed on me.
  • CurlyAussie
    CurlyAussie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Update- (yes I locked it) my wallet was found- thrown in the bin at the local shopping centre. Money was gone (I don't carry my CC!),
    but I had some cards that I really needed and license was in there- lesson learned.
    I found the manager of the gym apathetic, and didn't seem concerned at all about it.
    I still continue to go, but leave my wallet in a locked spot in my car, and park away from gym!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Do some handouts/posters...post them on the lockers or leave in that area. Do it every time as no doubt management will remove them.

Something like:
    "Do not leave valuables in this area, even in locked lockers, they will be stolen. Report any broken into lockers and/or stolen items to management, so as they realise the extent of theft in this area."
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Sweet, sweet closure!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to a gym, I only took my ID and a credit card with me. Then I kept them in one of those tiny card keepers that stayed on my person for the very reason you described.

I'd move on if I were you. Life's too short to sweat little irritations like this. If you don't, then the thief not only successfully stole your wallet but also your motivation to become more fit as well. I think the latter is worse.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a community center and I never used a locker. I have never used a locker at any place where I go to workout. I keep my keys, water, etc. with me at all times. A LA Fitness in GA has been robbed multiple times per the news on tv. The news said that the pad locks were cut with a bolt cutter.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/thief-targets-fitness-center/nZRGB/

Everyone is dressed in itty bitty pieces of form-fitting spandex - how does someone not notice ppl walking in with bolt cutters? :huh:

people lock themselves out all the time- we cut off people's lock frequently at gyms.

OP dumb for not locking it.

also - do'nt leave anything you aren't willing to have stolen in there- I leave my key occasionally- but that's it- I also put my stuff inside my shoes if I think it's moderately valuable- and I also leave my underwear out on the very top like the classy lady I am.

Glad you found your ID_ that's my biggest issue- I had to have all my stuff cancelled two weeks ago- and I was terrified I lost my ID. Found it- but someone had still used my debit cards to make unauthorized purchases. it sucks.

Glad you can get reset though and learned a valuable lesson!
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    To those recommending to leave your stuff in the car, I would NOT recommend that.

I went to the gym and realized I forgot my lock, and the ONE TIME that I left my purse in my car, my passenger window was shattered with the purse gone. I had it well hidden under the car seat, but I have a feeling I was being watched. They took the entire purse, along with my work blackberry. I was beyond livid. I had just so happened to have everything in my purse that day because I was at the DMV earlier in the week. SS card, birth certificate, cards, cash you name it. I put a monitor on my credit and never leave anything valuable in my car!
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    What the people on my swim team did growing up was put their lock on backwards.

We had to like backbend or duck down to unlock it, but that way nobody could watch over our shoulder to see the combination.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Update- (yes I locked it) my wallet was found- thrown in the bin at the local shopping centre. Money was gone (I don't carry my CC!),
    but I had some cards that I really needed and license was in there- lesson learned.
    I found the manager of the gym apathetic, and didn't seem concerned at all about it.
    I still continue to go, but leave my wallet in a locked spot in my car, and park away from gym!

Wait... You found your lost wallet 7 months later?
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Stolen_Wallet_by_kris_wilson.jpg