Can you lose weight eating what you want in small portions

2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Yes but it depends on how big your portions were before.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

img
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,819 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes but it depends on how big your portions were before.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

img

Best answer.
  • gionrogado
    gionrogado Posts: 45 Member
    i did just that. i ate anything as long as it fits my calories and macros. came down from 200+lbs down to 136lbs in 9 months. it kept me going because i knew nothing is off the table as long as i know when and how to put it in. now that i'm at my goal weight, i had to re-up my calories because lifting drains calories so fast. and i'm happier than ever because that means i can eat more
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Yep.

Track calories to see but yes. There are days I eat a lot of healthy food. There are days I spend all my calories on a whopper with onion rings and a reeses cup.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    One of the other problems of "just eat smaller portions" is that there are many foods that are high bulk and low on calories and high on nutrition. There's probably no real reason to reduce the amount of broccoli you would eat, for example.

Plus, losing weight is important. But nutrition is as important, and maybe more important long term. You can eat crappy gas station foods in smaller portions and not gain weight. But if you don't have some veggies and fruit in your diet, that's not good.
  • jennettewooten
    jennettewooten Posts: 11 Member
    Yes I use small plate to reduce my calories and I eat almost everything I want in reason. I make sure I drink plenty of water and as for exercise I walk around the church park lot near me several times and I am losing. But keeping track of calories is a big must.
  • It's one piece of the puzzle.

Some people can take the average dinner plate and adjust the amount of items on it; more vegetables, less fatty sauces, leaner meat, smaller piece of meat, etc. while eating the same amount of food off the plate overall. I can't do this because I have IBS and it hates most vegetables and legumes.

So I have to reduce my portion sizes, and that is aided by smaller plates and bowls. A smaller portion on a dinner plate looks tiny. Same portion on a luncheon plate looks like a full meal. But I weigh my food and count calories too. I don't just rely on a small plate, because I can load that small plate way past my calorie budget.
  • tcmnoles1532
    tcmnoles1532 Posts: 2 Member
    Mine has always been a simple saying "Push ups and Push aways" ..... pretty simple
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    So my uncle who is a body weight champion and health and fitness trainer told me you can eat whatever you want just in small portions. So for the past week I have just been eating of little saucer plates rather than a normal sized plate saucer is about half the size of a normal plate. I’ve also just Been eating porridge for breakfast but for lunch and dinner eating whatever I want with loads of salad and fruit. If I have had a takeaway I have had a child’s meal rather than an adult meal. I feel healthier happier and more energetic but this morning I got on the scales and had gained 2lbs. I don’t know how I’ve gained when I have been eating less and healthier with fruit and veg at almost every meal

I retain pounds of water when I ovulate, premenstrually, after high sodium meals, and after starting a new exercise program, so if any of that is happening for you, that would be one explanation.

However, it would be safest to weight your food. Cheese cake does indeed fit on small plates :lol:
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Yes its what working for me , but also being mindful of the calories in a serving.