Water weight or weight gain?

Options
I started losing weight around 1 year ago. Approx 1 stone in a total. Last November I reached my target weight at 8.10 stone and I stayed at this weight until the last month. 8.10 was my average and this varied between 8.9 and 8.12 on a daily basis.

Over the last 3 weeks my weight seems to have stayed at 8.12 every day. The initial jump was from 8.10 to 8.12 but it hasn’t gone below 8.12 4 weeks later? Is it possible to have water retention for this long? My diet has not changed at all calories wise, if anything I have been eating less calories the last couple weeks due to the gain.

Do you think this is water weight or weight gain?

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you've been getting the same weight reading for a couple of weeks, just assume it is your current weight.

Also, an increase from 8.10 to 8.12 stone is about 4 oz, or a quarter lb. Drinking a cup of tea could add that much weight to your body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I seriously think you're way overthinking a difference of a few ounces.
  • Sarah21797
    Sarah21797 Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Sorry just to clarify I mean 2lb gain. So from 8.10 pounds to 8 stone 12 pounds. Thanks
  • Sarah21797
    Sarah21797 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    If you've been getting the same weight reading for a couple of weeks, just assume it is your current weight.

Also, an increase from 8.10 to 8.12 stone is about 4 oz, or a quarter lb. Drinking a cup of tea could add that much weight to your body.

Sorry just to clarify, I am talking about a 2lb increase from 8 stone 10 pounds to 8 stone 12 pounds.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    my scale gets stuck on a weight when it needs a new battery. try changing the battery and see what happens.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    Sarah21797 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »

Sorry just to clarify, I am talking about a 2lb increase from 8 stone 10 pounds to 8 stone 12 pounds.

OK, so that's about 2 pints (4 cups, 32 fluid ounces, 1 liter) of water, instead Have you increased exercise? I usually gain about 2 pounds every time I resume strength training after a hiatus, and hang onto it until I stop progressing the strength training. (Different people experience different numbers of pounds, and difference in how it persists or not.)

Usually, any sudden multi-pound sudden jump on the scale, without a quite-noticeable change in eating (more) or activity (less) to explain it in "pound of fat = 3500 calories" terms, is a change in water weight, or perhaps in digestive system contents in transit (like if someone starts eating much more fiber, or becomes constipated).

Without a noticeable change in activity/eating, fat gain is usually a slow creeping upward of scale weight.

Have you read this?

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your scales are showing the same weight every day I'd be very suspicious there's a problem with your scales.
    Varying day to day in a three pound range seems normal, same every day sounds unlikely unless you and your body are unusually consistent.

You could reset them by pulling out or changing the batteries or reset the weight in case of false consistency by simply just half stepping on them to create a big variance.