I don't understand the step and calorie adjustment

I am using pedometer ++ along with the iphone health app to track my steps and it syncs with my fitness pal. The step on myfitness pal are accurate with the other apps but then it says my calories burned barely anything. FOr example today I had 51,414 steps an it says my iphones calorie adjustment is 63 and my calories burned are 63. I don't understand this. culd someone explain?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    I've read that Apple doesn't 'play well' with MFP and sends over the wrong numbers.
    It's suggested to use the Pacer app as an intermediary app (sync Apple with Pacer and sync Pacer with MFP), instead of connecting Apple directly with MFP.
  • sonyamurawski
    sonyamurawski Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have been having the exact same issue, except I use Fitbit!! Thought it was just me. My steps sync but no calories adjustment. It was working fine until a couple days ago. Wonder if it’s a glitch.
  • rstites93
    rstites93 Posts: 9 Member
    ok i thought i was just dense and missing something! glad im not alone!
  • DrL0veHandles
    DrL0veHandles Posts: 8 Member
    It doesn't sync with my Garmin either. MFP shows minimal calories burned no matter what I do. However, my Garmin App imports MFP data and shows the correct calories in/calories out including movement.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    51,414 steps? Wow! Were you walking all day?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2021
    51,414 steps? Wow! Were you walking all day?

This was my thought...I once did 45000 steps.in a day and I was EXHAUSTED! I pretty much was walking all day...kudos to you OP!! That's impressive!
  • rstites93
    rstites93 Posts: 9 Member
    LOL, yes I walk all day every day. Its a long story... but I"m not allowed to work because of the people I"m living with (they are old and refuse to let me) and walking makes me feel like I'm "doing something" and I come home tired like if I were working. Its sad, I Know. I'm trying to get out of that situation...
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    That sounds like a very tough situation, I'm sorry. How old are you? I hope you get more balance soon. Please also make sure you are eating enough to fuel all that activity, and give your body rest when you can. Maybe you can sit in a park and read a book for an hour for example, instead of constantly walking, to give yourself some rest time.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It doesn't sync with my Garmin either. MFP shows minimal calories burned no matter what I do. However, my Garmin App imports MFP data and shows the correct calories in/calories out including movement.

Sure it can, absolutely fine. Unless you are only getting like a sync early in day and nothing later. In which case I've seen Garmin not send an update out unless I do something.

Garmin actually handles it incorrectly, because they misunderstand what is being done and their adjustment for Active calories causes the deficit to be wrong.

What is likely confusing you on the MFP side is that Garmin sends workouts over, along with a daily burn.

MFP therefore has to do the following:

Garmin daily burn - MFP estimated daily - known workouts = adjustment.

Say Garmin 3000 - 2500 MFP - 500 workout = no adjustment.

Base eating goal say 2000 + 500 workout = 2500 giving a 500 cal deficit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    rstites93 wrote: »
    I am using pedometer ++ along with the iphone health app to track my steps and it syncs with my fitness pal. The step on myfitness pal are accurate with the other apps but then it says my calories burned barely anything. FOr example today I had 51,414 steps an it says my iphones calorie adjustment is 63 and my calories burned are 63. I don't understand this. culd someone explain?

Are you logging a workout?

You don't sound like you are linking accounts - which is the issue mentioned about Apple sending incorrect figures to MFP.

You are merely using MFP app to look for steps from some device, and selected the iPhone to provide those steps.
    Or do you have another pedometer that MFP can use?
    What does setting for Step Source say?

When you use that method, you are relying on some very rough math, because there is no calories per steps formula, there is very accurate formula for calories for distance and pace and weight.
    But you have no distance of those steps.

So MFP is left making rough estimates. It also has no idea if those steps are part of a workout it knows about or outside the workout.
    So if a workout is logged, or synced in, it is removed from the rough step calories so no potential double-counting can occur.

Are you manually logging the walk, or is Health app syncing one over because you created one there?

The best screen to get a pic of is the Exercise diary in MFP, pick a past day.
    The entry for Adjustment, tap and hold for the figures used in the math, screen pic that too.

Attach both to this thread for some help on whatever is actually occurring.