Hi ? about walking

Options
I started a diet plan Jan 2013 and lost 22 lbs by June- (but screwed up I used protein bars because it was quick and easy to track calories but i didnt know high in sugar, now my DR thinks I am a dietetic) I am trying to prove her wrong.....

As of Monday August 19 I added in walking on the treadmill- I lost 2 additional pounds I am proud of myself and have another 40 to go

I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a 10% incline 3.0-3.3 (which ever speed i pick i stick with through out the session) speed for 6 laps (1/4 each lap) and burn 330 calories.

My question Is this good bad or I'm I fooling myself thing I am doing great ( i do this same work out 2 x's a day morning and evening usually with in 1 hour of eating.

Replies

• FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Do you mean your Dr. thinks you're diabetic? Do they know for sure? Did they test your blood?

The walks are great. I hope you're off the protein bars, though. A balanced diet with lean protein and lots of vegetables is much more healthy. A variety of exercise would probably be more effective, but if walking is all you can do, then keep doing that.
  • anewme1970
    anewme1970 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My AlC was 6.5 (blood test)
    Walking is all i can do (recently had surgery ) and that's all I was cleared for - but i did buy Exercises bands to add a variety(when I am cleared) trying to do all this from home. Cut out as much carbs as I can- NO more protein bars but I did find Atkins 2g sugar snack bars(but afraid to eat them)
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you're A1C is 6.5, you are diabetic. An A1C up to 6 can still be considered normal, but the typical pre-diabetic threshold is an A1C between 5.7 and 6.4. If your A1C is above 8, you have uncontrolled diabetes. The diabetic goal is typically to have an A1C below 7 up to 7.5. 6.5 would be considered very well controlled diabetes, but it's still diabetes.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/a1c-test/MY00142/DSECTION=results

A person without blood sugar problems can eat or drink a great deal of sugar/carb load/whatever, and in four hours, their blood sugar will return to normal (typically below 120). And their resting blood sugar (like they woke up and haven't eaten yet) is always going to be in the upper 70's to 90's.

An A1C test does not lie. It shows how well your blood sugar has been controlled for the last 3 months. Don't kid yourself. It's not a mistake and it's not because you ate protein bars.

An a1c of 6.5 means your average blood sugar is 139 mg/dl. https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-monitoring/a1c-calculator.html#

Eyes and kidneys are very delicate and can start being damaged by blood sugar of 127 and higher. And your immune system gets put on hold for a few hours every time your blood sugar spikes over 150 because your body has to try to cope with your sugars. Which means, it is easier to get sick and healing slows down.

Keep up the exercise, that's a good plan, and it sounds like you're doing well with it. It's the best thing you could possibly do to help your body use your glucose and to increase your insulin sensitivity. And hydrate! :)

I have to admit I'm leery though of someone who joined Jan 2013, but only has 3 posts here, with the typical "why am I not losing weight?" P.S. I'm starving myself, but I'm not hungry, honest, and a rather disturbing "I'm totally not diabetic you guys" thread P.S. my A1C is diabetic. I just hope you're a real person who honestly wants to help herself and not a troll account.

If you are a real person *hugs*, you'll get through this and be okay. Listen to your doctor though. :)

Good job on losing 22 pounds, but don't starve yourself on a VLC diet (see your other thread).
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Excersize, is only effective if your body warms up, and the heart rate increases, thus producing sweat. This is why it is so very important to keep the fluid levels, at 8 cups, per day minimum. An estimated 1 and a half Ltr. per day, is advisable. More, fluid is needed in warm weather, and depending on the persons weight.