What you should do if you feel this is a hopeless attempt at weight loss

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
edited March 2021 in Motivation and Support
There are going to be people that will be so disappointed in their progress that they throw their hands up in the air and tell themselves "what's the point?" and then give up and quit.
So what now? Well let's look at it objectively and see if there are actual reasons and how we can try to solve them.

1. If the thought of quitting comes, then you need to think about what's the alternative. Stay unhappy at the weight and health you're at? Because the reality is that IF you decide to do nothing about it, it's not going to change and in many cases it ends up getting worse.

2. Ask yourself "Am I really being honest with myself and have I done EVERYTHING to 100%?" Because if you haven't, then that's likely the reason your results aren't coming along. Those days that you "take off" from following your plan can interfere with your overall progress.

3. If the plan you're doing is TOO HARD, then make an easier plan. Trying to lose 2lbs a week doesn't work for everyone. So switch to a plan of losing 1lbs a week. Yeah, it will take you longer, but again what's the alternative? Quit and stay where you are or lose 4lbs a month?

4. Lower your expectations. There's a reason that every nutritional program (like Nutritsystem, etc.) have a waiver stating "Results not typical". Not everyone is going to do great on a fixed program.

5. Life goes on with or without you. Sorry that's just the basic truth. HOW YOU want it to go on is up to you. You may have to struggle harder than some to do it, but if you're diligent and disciplined enough to be consistent, results will happen. Maybe not to your expectation, but it's ALWAYS BETTER to have improvement than no improvement at all.

6. Look back at your past successes. How did you feel back then? One of the best feelings in the world. Especially if someone verifies it by telling you. Use that to help you punch through the tougher times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I really like this. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I always remind myself not to give up right before progress is made :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    I really like this. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I always remind myself not to give up right before progress is made :)
    Sometimes you just have to step back and look at the whole picture sometimes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Stop preaching at me. :blushing:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Stop preaching at me. :blushing:
    You're doing fine.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I'm resetting my weight loss goal to 1 lb/wk instead of 2. I've been struggling bad lately so this may be just what I need to take the pressure off a little.
  • middleagegirl
    middleagegirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What I find most important is "What is your WHY? why are you trying to lose weight? Is it for you? for someone else? To be healthy? To live longer? You need to find out your motivation, your reason for doing this. Helps a ton. We all have our own journey. We cannot compare ourselves with anyone else and we have to be mentally ready to take on whatever our WHY is....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to hear today. I'm resetting my weight loss goal to 1 lb/wk instead of 2. I've been struggling bad lately so this may be just what I need to take the pressure off a little.
    A small step forward is still going forward.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    What I find most important is "What is your WHY? why are you trying to lose weight? Is it for you? for someone else? To be healthy? To live longer? You need to find out your motivation, your reason for doing this. Helps a ton. We all have our own journey. We cannot compare ourselves with anyone else and we have to be mentally ready to take on whatever our WHY is....
    The more we make this about being intrinsic instead of extrinsic, the better the turn out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Great post.