Weight roller coaster?!?!?!

Options
Wondering if anyone else’s weight fluctuates when first starting their diet and exercise. I am staying within my calorie limit, going to the gym 1 to 2 times a week, but feel like I’ve hit a plateau and not really losing much. Any thoughts or tips?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Weight always fluctuates, it's just that most people don't realize it until they try to lose weight because they aren't used to weighing every day.

When you say 'not losing much', how long have you been trying to lose weight? How much have you lost? What is your calorie goal and what weight loss rate did you choose?
  • mrBLOB84
    mrBLOB84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    About a month, lost up to 11 lbs, 2,250 calories a day, shooting for 1-2 lbs a week with end weight being 250ish lbs
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    Public profile, feel free to take a look and give any feedback/tips
  • Lietchi
    Options
    So if you've lost 11 lbs in a month, I'm not sure what the problem is? That's more than 2,5 lbs per week and that's not slow at all.

Weight loss is not linear, it's normal to have weeks where is quicker and weeks where it's slower (or even weeks where the weight seems to go up again). It's three long term trend you need to look at (at least a month).
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    You have a point there, I lost 11 pounds in about a week and a half so I guess I was expecting to continue that trend. Trying to aim high but not too high and be disappointed, working to find that middle ground I guess.
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    Thanks for the info/support
  • Lietchi
    Options
    It's quite normal to have a 'stall' after a period of quick weight loss, especially at the beginning of your weight loss journey 🙂 part of that quick weight loss is water weight and the body often tends to rectify that water weight loss afterwards, which makes the weight loss seemingly stall for a while (water weight fluctuations masking fat loss on the scale). It's just a matter of being consistent and patient.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    If the 11 pounds was in a week and a half, a chunk of it was water weight, plus a big lower average digestive system contents on the way to becoming waste (the rest was fat). It's pretty normal for that first water weight drop to rebalance after a bit, so that it hides ongoing fat loss on the scale. Different people have different patterns, but that's a fairly common one.

Best advice: Hang in there, things will be fine given time.

Meanwhile, if you haven't, I'd strongly suggest you read this:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Bodies are weird. 😐

Best wishes!
  • mrBLOB84
    Options
    That website explained a lot. Thanks 👍