Daily calories

Options
mel941980
mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All -

I started my weight loss journey in January, 2020. I immediately joined MFP and also implemented the following: tracking daily calories, following a 16/8 intermittent fasting program, updating my profile settings in MFP bi-weekly for an accurate calorie count, sticking to the CICO method, power walking at least 5 days a week, and using a Garmin to count steps. I burn approximately 285 calories each power walk.

I'm a 40-year-old 5'6 female. I've lost 77lbs thus far. I currently weigh 175lbs and I think 160lbs may be my final goal. I plan to follow a maintenance program on MFP, too.

Now onto my question, does 1350 daily calories seem too low? I often save my weekly exercise calories for 1-2 splurge meals and a few cocktails on the weekends. That has honestly allowed me to balance things and enjoy myself.

Unfortunately, it's getting challenging to do that with my current calorie count. I'm still on track losing 1lb a week, but toying with scaling back to .5lbs a week, if needed.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 77 lbs!

As I got within 20 lbs of my goal, I reset my goal to .5 lbs a week, which raised my daily calories from 1380 to 1510, which I find much less restrictive My logic was that as I approached my goal, lowering my loss rate would make the transition to maintenance a bit less abrupt.

I've now actually reached (and reset) my goal weight twice on that higher calorie count--although there are often days that I am closer to the 1300 range.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    If you're not happy with your current level, then YES increase calories. You slow the process a little, but your destination is the rest of your life. There is no 'finish line' to aim for. Try adding 100-200 to your daily goal and see how you feel about it.
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you, both. I'm going to add 150 calories a day and reevaluate after a few weeks.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss will slow by eating a bit more.... but I think that's good... because what you now have in front of you is... time!

Because maintenance continues....

I found the post fast weight loss year where I more slowly lost 11.2 lbs and the next year where I lost just 3.5lbs to be invaluable into transitioning me to the next few years where I've maintained my losses.

And I still had a çouple of bumps (luckily never dipping into the 11.2lbs), and it still took a good 2+ years post major loss and resumption of maintenance calories for hunger cues to reduce and for the caloric budget to require less active management