POST PARTUM FITNESS AND PROTEIN SHAKES

Hi there! I am 7 weeks post partum. Before I got pregnant I was 55kg and strength training and my PB'S (so you have an idea of where I was on the fitness journey) deadlift 100kg, Squat 65kg, Hipthrust 82kg for example. I LOVED working out. I want to get back on the lifting but I want to be gentle with my body. before any one asks GP's are rubbish with post partum care and advice. I have to trust my own body and in this case a community who also trusts their own bodies!! I want to get back into my strength training and wonder if any of you had your own journey or experience to draw upon regards:
1. How to build your program back up slowly whilst being mindful of the trauma your abs have suffered
2. PROTEIN SHAKES - safe for breastfeeding? I have a good healthy intake of protein in my diet but I know what worked for me previously to build muscle and what macros I was on.
3. Any links or resources you can point me to?

thanks!!

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    I've tagged @fernt21 for insight if she's still around. @quiksylver296 and @sardelsa probably have some personal experience when it comes to this stuff, hey?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited March 2021
    I wish I had more help, but I didn't get back into lifting until my kid was about 10 and I doubt OP wants to wait that long. :laugh:

Maybe @Chef_Barbell???

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Congratulations!

I hear you on a lot of medical professionals being kind of clueless about breastfeeding. That's not entirely their fault, because I think they honestly just don't get a lot of training on it, but yes, many of them err on the side of way too cautious and I think that hampers women - we feel like we have to give up breastfeeding or living like a normal person, and can't have both. I think in most cases, you can absolutely do both and it's fine for both you and baby.

I am not a strength training expert, far from it. BUT, I will tell you how I started postpartum - I searched out specifically postpartum friendly workout routines on YouTube. Many of the top creators really know their stuff and have the specialized training to know what's safe or what isn't, what modifications can be made, techniques for diastasis recti if that affects you. And I would say at seven weeks out to *start slowly.* You can always add more on as you find your strength returning. Is this your first baby? If your lochia returns it means you're doing too much (you might be done at seven weeks out, I usually am, for some women it can stick around off and on for a few more weeks).

I would not try to cut calories at all at this point because your milk supply is still being established (even if right now you feel like an overflowing fountain.) That said, I don't think protein shakes are going to be harmful. Anything that's real food is fine. An occasional drink is fine. My general understanding is that if you're concerned about postpartum weight loss and you were a normal weight pre-pregnancy, that it's perfectly normal for it to take just as much time to come off as it did to come on - so, nine months. You don't need to rush it or slash your calories like crazy.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    My biggest word of caution when it comes to getting back into lifting postpartum besides the abs is to take it very easy and go much slower than you’d like. Lifting heavy after giving birth puts you at a high risk for a pelvic organ prolapse since your pelvic floor is still week from pregnancy. Look this up if you don’t know much about the condition. I say this as someone that got back into exercise too early and am now dealing with this. I’m almost 10 weeks pp and started counting calories at 6 weeks. I have no idea if this is the right way to do things, but I chose to eat at my prepregnancy maintenance calorie allotment since I’m breastfeeding. My logic is of BF burns ~500 calories a day, then I’m setting myself up for a loss of one pound a week. I’ve been consistently loosing about 1.5-2lbs a week for the past 4 weeks doing this, but at the start there was some definite water weight. I’m monitoring my milk supply by pumping once in the morning after my son nurses and so far that pump output has stayed the same so I’m hopeful that I can continue. Also, as far as I know protein shakes are just fine while pregnant! It sounds like we’re on a similar journey, feel free to add me if you’d like!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    My biggest word of caution when it comes to getting back into lifting postpartum besides the abs is to take it very easy and go much slower than you’d like. Lifting heavy after giving birth puts you at a high risk for a pelvic organ prolapse since your pelvic floor is still week from pregnancy. Look this up if you don’t know much about the condition. I say this as someone that got back into exercise too early and am now dealing with this. I’m almost 10 weeks pp and started counting calories at 6 weeks. I have no idea if this is the right way to do things, but I chose to eat at my prepregnancy maintenance calorie allotment since I’m breastfeeding. My logic is of BF burns ~500 calories a day, then I’m setting myself up for a loss of one pound a week. I’ve been consistently loosing about 1.5-2lbs a week for the past 4 weeks doing this, but at the start there was some definite water weight. I’m monitoring my milk supply by pumping once in the morning after my son nurses and so far that pump output has stayed the same so I’m hopeful that I can continue. Also, as far as I know protein shakes are just fine while pregnant! It sounds like we’re on a similar journey, feel free to add me if you’d like!

+ Healing body
    + Extra energy for dealing with child
    + Deficit is from needs of current weight body, not previous

=

Indication you're possibly pushing a bit more then the "recommended" "let milk production create the initial deficit" and come down more gradually

I was hoping some experts would come along. Modification while healing (because you're dealing with injuries and possibly even ligament and bone changes and I have no clue for how many weeks this continues) might be along the lines of initially going with different weight * reps combinations as compared to before. But I'm a guy who doesn't even lift so....
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I hear you on the "GPs are rubbish" part, but would it be possible/affordable for you to seek out a physical therapist or personal trainer who specializes in pregnancy/postpartum training, or at the very least has personal experience to draw from?
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I was hoping some experts would come along. Modification while healing (because you're dealing with injuries and possibly even ligament and bone changes and I have no clue for how many weeks this continues) might be along the lines of initially going with different weight * reps combinations as compared to before. But I'm a guy who doesn't even lift so....

You are 100% right about this. Some of the changes are permanent, and some take longer than you think to go back to normal - six months or more. I wouldn't call all of those things "healing," per se - more like, reverting back to their non-pregnancy state. Ligaments are a great example of something that would impact strength training, but there's also other things like resuming your normal rate of hair loss (I'm always sad when it starts falling out again.)

• Nazneen_Superwoman
    Nazneen_Superwoman Posts: 5 Member
    Hi everyone. thank you SOOOO much for your kind words, your experiences that you draw upon and for sharing your insights into this.

After my initial post I started *cautiously* doing bodyweight exercises. When I say that these are enough (given my previous PB's) you get an idea of what Post partum fitness feels like and how far behind you are from your own standard lol.

still, its not a race and I am being kind to my body. I am avoiding any ab specific or core specific exercises as these can only exacerbate any diastesis recti (I do not have much of this but I want to avoid this anyway).

for anyone else that comes after me with the same questions - and with the amazing advice above - what I would say has worked for me is:
    focussing on legs and all body exercises. I never believe in specific fat burning spot exercises. but the all body exercises give you a great boost and feel like you are getting a workout in.

I have been doing super sets of squat and rdls with long paint roller as this is almost as long as an olympic bar with zero weight in comparison - good to get the posture right!! then I have been doing hip thrusts (body weight only) and donkey kicks.

I have only just incorporated a weighted ball (low weight) and begun using that do rounds of climbing stairs holding it.

farmers carries are a no no unless you do both arms! (again avoiding splitting he abs any further!!)

I am still researching the protein shakes. calorie deficit is not on my agenda (breast feeding you see) but I am trying o remain eating as well as possible and no fried foods unless I absolutely feel like some french fries for example!!

I will post back with more info on the protein shakes.

thanks again everyone!!