What are your coping mechanisms for plateau weeks?

Hi all!

The last couple of weeks my scale has been very stubborn not wanting to move. (I've lost 11KG and am at 80.5. I really want to be below 80 because I haven't seen that in many years but even with my daily 500 kcal deficit I've hit one of those moments where it's not working out well and it's starting to get me down a bit.)

Now I'm quite sure this journey is a roller coaster for most and I'm far from alone with these frustrations, so what is everyone's way to get through these rough patches in the journey?

Replies

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited March 2021
    Maybe change something in your routine, like take up a new sort of activity (running, hiit workouts....)?

Revise your caloric need as well - the lighter you are, the less calories you burn per workout and also the less you need to take in.

My weight increase comes from water retention (carbs or salty foods in the evening, sleep deprivation or lifting heavier than regularily). When this happens, I get mad at the scale, then calm down and go about doing my own thing. I don't beat myself up for high caloric days and just take each day as a new one. Here and now ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Stick to it! Losing 11kg is not an easy thing ๐Ÿ‘, so you're a strong girl ๐Ÿ’ and must've done something right, to get there! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anne_R91
    Anne_R91 Posts: 29 Member
    dewit wrote: ยป
    Maybe change something in your routine, like take up a new sort of activity (running, hiit workouts....)?

Revise your caloric need as well - the lighter you are, the less calories you burn per workout and also the less you need to take in.

My weight increase comes from water retention (carbs or salty foods in the evening, sleep deprivation or lifting heavier than regularily). When this happens, I get mad at the scale, then calm down and go about doing my own thing. I don't beat myself up for high caloric days and just take each day as a new one. Here and now ๐Ÿ˜‰.

Stick to it! Losing 11kg is not an easy thing ๐Ÿ‘, so you're a strong girl ๐Ÿ’ and must've done something right, to get there! ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

I use a fitbit which I wear at all times and I have indeed noticed that my daily walks and some treadmill runs are starting to burn less. (I quite like it, because it means my stamina is going up!) However myfitnesspal adjusts my calories down when I don't move enough haha so I should have a good handle on my in and outs. (Use a scale for all my food.)

I've been having a very strange couple of weeks with regards to my menstrual cycle and fatigue and pain so I'm waiting for that to settle down before I make any changes. But after that it is certainly a good thought to adjust some things at this point. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    I've been having a very strange couple of weeks with regards to my menstrual cycle and fatigue and pain [...]

Well, that explains the issue with the weight then! It also doesn't help with mood and confidence, I bet ;-). But be assured that it's just physical and you'll resume at full confidence, once you're yourself ;-). Be patient ๐ŸŒบ
  • hollypashley
    hollypashley Posts: 8 Member
    Ah, I am totally with you today! It is a challenge to stay positive and motivated. I had gained 2lbs when I weighed this morning and have been eating in deficit by about the same amount as you. I reminded myself that the loss on the scales is not linear, that my upcoming cycle in 3 days will be contributing. Basically offering myself compassion and that Iโ€™ve made these changes to feel and look better, regardless of what the scales say I can tick both of those boxes. Hope you can too. I think youโ€™ve done great! X
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Try to focus on something good that has changed besides the number on the scale. Do your favorite jeans finally fit again? Can you rock a t-shirt you havenโ€™t worn in years? Are you noticing muscles in places they havenโ€™t shown up before? Or maybe you just have more energy and feel great! I look at those things during a period of stabilization. The other thing I have learned is that a big loss, for me, usually follows a stable period where I know I have done everything right. Hope is right around the corner. Just keep up the good work!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2021
    I lost 10 lb/4.5 kg between January 20 and March 10 - and then ran into a solid wall of diet fatigue. I'm currently eating at a generous maintenance level and will take a break from the scale this week. It was nice to indulge in pasta, a second glass of milk, cheese and wine for a minute, but now I'm over it and am ready to re-commit to eating fewer calories. In fact, I can't wait to get back to calorie deficit!

Taking a few days break at maintenance might not work for everyone, but for me, it helps me stay committed in the long run.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    I trust the process. My chosen weight loss rate is slow, so easily obscured by weight fluctuations, but I've been doing this long enough to know that I just need to be patient.
    I focus on other goals: running faster/further, lifting heavier, etc.
    And I look at my weight trend over at longer period, at least a month (the Libra app and my own spreadsheet).
  • am00r
    am00r Posts: 173 Member
    Usually,
    I get frustrated and lose track.

Iโ€™m trying to forget about the scale and focus on having a healthy life.. as possible
    With some.. free days ;)
  • Anne_R91
    Anne_R91 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. All helpfull and true! โค

I know focusing on the scale too much is bad but it's a tunnel vision I often still get. (Got down to 80.1 this morning, so I'm just going to be patient and know that the number below 80 will happen.)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My scale weight is so freaking erratic that it's almost useless for 3 out of 4 weeks in a given month. The only time I seem to have something consistent is the week immediately after my period. Otherwise it just bounces around all over the place and is basically useless. It just bounces between, gradually, lower numbers. So I keep an eye on that week following my period and try to largely ignore it.
  • aimeekate19
    aimeekate19 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm wondering if I could solicit some advice? I've been stuck in a plateau since the beginning of February. I'm not sure why. I exercise 4-5 times a week. I was doing 30 minutes of cardio during those sessions, along with weight lifting as heavy as I could go (25-45 pound dumbbells and 40-70 pound barbells for free weights - machines sometimes more depending on the exercise). I'm now bumping that up to 45-60 minutes 4-5 times a week.

I have a hard time getting in 64 ounces of water per day - it's usually closer to 40 ounces. I'm 48, so in the beginning stages of menopause.

What was working is no longer working, clearly. My calories are between 1200 and 1500 daily, and I don't have cheat days. Maybe my carbs are too high (between 75 and 125 daily)? Not enough protein? (usually between 75 and 120 grams daily, but usually closer to 75). Measurements are pretty much the same. According to the scale, I've only lost 13 pounds in almost 7 months. Anyone have a similar situation and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Oh, and I hate my scale.