Diet during pregnancy

Options
jjkh5970
jjkh5970 Posts: 466 Member
I’m in the process of becoming a surrogate. I’m just a couple weeks away from my embryo transfer date. I’m looking for advice/suggestions on how to maintain a healthy diet during pregnancy and remain healthy while not gaining an excess amount of weight. I’ve already gained more than I’d like to over the past year. What foods, routines, etc.. did you incorporate during your pregnancies to stay in shape or be able to loose the baby weight faster afterwards?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    jjkh5970 wrote: »
    I’m in the process of becoming a surrogate. I’m just a couple weeks away from my embryo transfer date. I’m looking for advice/suggestions on how to maintain a healthy diet during pregnancy and remain healthy while not gaining an excess amount of weight. I’ve already gained more than I’d like to over the past year. What foods, routines, etc.. did you incorporate during your pregnancies to stay in shape or be able to loose the baby weight faster afterwards?

Have you been in contact with a doctor or midwife as part of this process? There may be specific concerns regarding surrogacy to be aware of.

I have five children. The general nutrition advice I have received is to not deliberately avoid gaining weight or try to lose weight while pregnant. Generally speaking, you do not need extra calories in the first trimester (many women lose weight due to nausea and as long as it isn't excessive this is OK, there are anti-nausea medications that are safe in pregnancy in case you need them.) 200-350 calories extra in the second trimester, and then 500 extra for the last trimester as general guidelines. If you do not consume the required nutrients yourself, your body will take the nutrients from your body to grow the baby. Calcium is a common deficiency in pregnancy for this reason. Prenatal vitamins are a must and ideally begin taking them before pregnancy (I just take them all the time). Folate is especially important for baby development - any prenatal will have lots of this.

If you are a normal weight pre-pregnancy, it is normal for it to take up to nine months to lose it. Postpartum recovery is no joke even if you have a completely normal delivery. You should not engage in rigorous exercise until lochia has stopped and any tearing, etc. has healed, which will be checked by a medical professional typically around six weeks postpartum. Even so, you have to start slow because your body parts are literally migrating back to their original positions, especially abdominal muscles which separate. Working them too hard too soon can make those permanent.

Pregnancy is a very normal, beautiful thing and I don't ever regret the babies I've had, and even hope to have more, but it is a serious undertaking that will permanently change your body even after returning to your pre-pregnancy weight. I think it's good to go into it knowing and accepting that that will happen.
  • jjkh5970
    jjkh5970 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children of my own as well.. but I didn’t always eat the healthiest with them. However I’m starting at a higher pre pregnancy weight than before so I’m trying to make it easier on myself to lose the weight afterwards. Good tips!
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was overweight/obese during both pregnancies and only gained 12 lbs with each one. I ended up at a lower weight a few weeks after delivering than where I started, but that’s only because I did not overeat during pregnant.

My best advice is to focus on getting most of your calories from unprocessed foods and to exercise throughout. I’m not talking marathons, just lots of walking, going on a bike ride. Monitor your calories so you aren’t underrating or overeating. Some foods will repel you and others will call to you, so really just balance everything out.

It is awesome that you are serving as a surrogate. It is a gift.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It’s important not to cut calories while pregnant, though it doesn’t sound like that’s what you are planning to do. Honestly, while I was pregnant I completely let loose with food and ate everything and anything I wanted. As a result, I gained more weight than necessary. But I did maintained a walking routine as best as I could, though it got difficult in the third trimester with snow/ice. My best advice is to eat to hunger, but do your best to chose healthy options. If you don’t give in to your cravings, it can make things worse leading to a binge. So eat what your craving in smaller quantities. And keep up whatever exercise you’re currently doing so long as it’s been approved by your doctor. It’s great that you are going to be a surrogate!