High Fasting Gluclose Question

Options
I saw my APRN for a follow-up yesterday. She was thrilled with my weight loss. All my lab work was excellent. The only thing was my fasting glucose was 106. It has been hovering between 105 and 107. I was extremely disappointed that it had not dropped below 100. She told me not to be concerned, that I may have a naturally high fasting glucose. We will continue to monitor my A1c but she feels I am well on my way to preventing diabetes. My APRN is quite slim but she told me her fasting glucose is still high despite the fact that she eats healthy and works out. Has anyone ever heard of a naturally higher fasting glucose?

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I don't have any answers... But I too noticed my fasting blood glucose isn't all that impressive either. Generally I'm 110 or more... I did hit 98 once in the last 7 weeks... Non-fasting, I typically land 115 all the way up to 155... This morning I'm 122 and yesterday was an above average Carb day. Generally on non fasting days I'm between 120-135 on average. I'm trying to figure out exactly what makes me spike up to the 155 area on occasion, but as of yet I have no clue. Since I'm following a Keto/Low Carb WOE, I fear my readings are on the high side.

I mean to go see a Doctor have them more extensive blood work, but we've been in the red/zone and now lockdown... So I've been putting it off.

FYI I always measure, first thing in the morning before eating, so perhaps all those readings would be considered fasting? And the first day I received the Blood Testing kit, I read 108 and it was after breakfast and lunch... Which isn't half bad... So again, I don't really know what any of this means.

I also have an a huge amount of weight to lose still, so I'm hoping as time goes on a downward trend will develope. Time will tell.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    As someone who has experienced gestational diabetes 3 times here are some things I’ve learned. GD is not the same as type 1 or type 2, but there are similarities.

1) fasting glucose is the HARDEST, and near impossible, to manage by diet and exercise alone. Some have found a bedtime snack (high protein, low carb) helps, but most of the time it is simply how your body processes the insulin your body produces. Losing weight will likely help, it just depends.

2) when you check your fasting levels it should be before you eat but before you are really active. The longer you are up and moving around the higher your blood sugar will be.

I’ve never heard of “naturally high fasting” levels. Yours are just a smidge high so I wouldn’t worry just yet, but I would keep an eye on your A1C.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    1poundatax wrote: »
    I saw my APRN for a follow-up yesterday. She was thrilled with my weight loss. All my lab work was excellent. The only thing was my fasting glucose was 106. It has been hovering between 105 and 107. I was extremely disappointed that it had not dropped below 100. She told me not to be concerned, that I may have a naturally high fasting glucose. We will continue to monitor my A1c but she feels I am well on my way to preventing diabetes. My APRN is quite slim but she told me her fasting glucose is still high despite the fact that she eats healthy and works out. Has anyone ever heard of a naturally higher fasting glucose?

I was always in the fasting realm of 100-105 range until I lost a significant amount of weight. My A1C was usually 6 prior to my lifestyle change. I now have a normal reading between 85-95 fasting and my A1C is 5.3. I danced with being in a pre-diabetic state for over 10 years. You can fend off diabetes by continuing to do what you’ve been doing now. Just continue with your efforts don’t let up. You have already proven that your willing to put in the work. My wife who is a diabetic has been along my side and while she still is a diabetic she has improved her A1C to 5.7. She’s lost a nice amount of weight that overall has improved things across the board. Don’t be discouraged by a single stat. I’ve never heard of a higher rate. I have always known if it’s higher then it’s a pre-diabetic state. I’d say look at it this way if blood work would be done to your APRN it would show in all likelihood that her stats are good given what you mentioned about her physique and exercise regiment, but blood work just like anyone else would highlight the reading as being a pre-diabetic state. And to be clear pre-diabetic is still steps away from full blown diabetes so again don’t let that one reading be such a downer.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Incidently, since yesterdays post... I hit a new all time low this morning of 95. No idea why, but that's a downward trend and I'll take it.