Supplements!

Options
Daily supps I use for protein/energy/gut health/skin/workouts/immunity/ are all vegan/plant-based/gluten-free/dairy-free/artificial flavor free!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to sell?
  • LeanneShuck
    LeanneShuck Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    People in a fitness/health app don't use supplements?! Some do! Some don't! I suppose :) I'm a do'er
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    People in a fitness/health app don't use supplements?! Some do! Some don't! I suppose :) I'm a do'er

Sure, there are plenty of threads about supplements here. Your Opening Post (OP) did sound rather salesy. OPs about supplements tend to ask questions.
  • LeanneShuck
    Options
    I scrolled through and didn't see any which was shocking I'll have to look again!
  • LeanneShuck
    Options
    LOL okay, so I didn't see there are 500 pages and only seen the first few groups LOL my bad. SMH
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    I pretty much use food for all of that stuff, i.e. protein/energy/gut health/skin/workouts/immunity/. I'm vegetarian, but not gluten free or dairy free.

IMO, supplements have their place to remediate deficiencies, and I take a few (vegetarian if at all possible) for specific reasons, but I prefer to use the time-honored food route as much as I possibly can.

I have nothing against the different choices others may make, however. It's not like eating or nutrition are somehow interpersonal competitions.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your goals with those supplements? Recognize thay supplementation is largely intended to address a deficiency or enhance athletic performance. I suspect most of what you take is either going to be largely placebo or unnecessary if you have a good diet.

Are you a vegan?
  • LeanneShuck
    Options
    I am slowly focusing/transitioning to more plant-based for sure. I wouldn't say vegan. There are a lot of foods or junk food vegans that eat it simply because "it's vegan" but it's still so highly processed they just damaging themselves! I def notice a difference on the days I'm not taking them consistently or run out but I know what you mean about some being placebo. I'd say the same for most vitamins on the market as the actual absorption rate is so low which I get a lot people just lump it all into "expensive pee" haha!
    Going more plant-based focused has helped with an injury and inflammation I've been struggling with for a long time!
    Goal wise I am looking to shed some pregnancy pounds and the older I get the harder it gets! The battle of hormones is no joke! The supps def help with mood and cravings and overall mental health right now for sure! But yes, nutrition is where it's at 100%.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am slowly focusing/transitioning to more plant-based for sure. I wouldn't say vegan. There are a lot of foods or junk food vegans that eat it simply because "it's vegan" but it's still so highly processed they just damaging themselves! I def notice a difference on the days I'm not taking them consistently or run out but I know what you mean about some being placebo. I'd say the same for most vitamins on the market as the actual absorption rate is so low which I get a lot people just lump it all into "expensive pee" haha!
    Going more plant-based focused has helped with an injury and inflammation I've been struggling with for a long time!
    Goal wise I am looking to shed some pregnancy pounds and the older I get the harder it gets! The battle of hormones is no joke! The supps def help with mood and cravings and overall mental health right now for sure! But yes, nutrition is where it's at 100%.

Have you been diagnosed with inflammation? Like your CRP is elevated?

Just make sure you are getting adequate vitamin proteinz b12, iron and vitamin D. Those are harder to get on a plant based diet and often required fortified foods or additional supplementation. But before you supplement metals (iron, magnesium, potassium, etc...), get a blood test. Too much is just as bad as not enough.

For protein, I'd look at something that is 25g and that has added EAAs. Plant based protein is lower in L-Luecine which is the driver for muscle protein synthesis or muscle building.
  • LeanneShuck
    Options
    I haven't. But noticed massive healing/changes in my ankle and knees I've had issues with longterm. I've had blood work not too long ago and didn't have any markers. I do use the nutrition yeast for b12. The protein powder I have been using for years is 20g protein per serving and all the vitamins and minerals added. No whey/soy. The muscles are there I just need to get rid of the fat layer covering them!