*Switch Ring Fit Users*

anna_losingit
anna_losingit Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok so this is probably my hundredth time starting a weight loss journey but we’re just going to move right on past that because I want to try going about this in a different way, and hopefully it’ll be *the* time for me to achieve the goals I’ve had for so long!

ANYWAYS

I ordered a Nintendo Switch as well as the Ring Fit Adventure and I’m so anxious for it to arrive! It looks like fun! I’m the WORST when it comes to making myself exercise but when it doesn’t feel like exercise it’s a lot easier for me to stay consistent. I have a 6 year old who is doing 100% virtual school as well as a 6 month old — I don’t have much time for myself but I do love playing video games so I’m hoping this will be a game changer (no pun intended).

While I look forward to incorporating this exercise game I know I need the most help when it comes to my relationship with food and my self control. I had bad habits to start with then I got into a really bad headspace when I was doing keto because I was being too restrictive and now with baby #2 and no real discipline - I am the highest adult weight I’ve ever been (not pregnant). This time I want to heal the wounds I’ve created around food and once I get a grip on that and see some progress I will then focus more on my fitness 😅

So if you’ve made it this far after this rambling - if you used the ring fit and had success please tell me! Share before/afters! I’m not sure how it works exactly but I hear you can add friends in there?? If so leave me your user thingy and maybe we can keep each other accountable.

Can’t wait! If I remember to I’ll post an update once I get everything- I think it’ll be like a week tho 🥴

Yay!

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I have Ring Fit Adventure and I love it! It's a lot of fun. Not the most sophisticated video game ever, sure, but it's engaging and cute and the music slaps. My workouts this month are all Ring Fit and outdoor cardio - I have a feeling I'm going to beat the game this month LMAO, but I might just start a new playthrough for April, it's that much fun.

Getting a handle on food, getting in the groove of counting and weighing and measuring everything, that's always the thing that trips me up, too. I've decided that I want my current attempt at weight loss to be my last one, so my mantra has been "no temporary changes." I'm not doing anything I can't sustain indefinitely, which includes counting calories. I have 10 years of data now that show that I lose/maintain weight when I count and I gain weight when I don't, so, I'm gonna count forever, I guess. I've made my peace with it, I'm prepared to use this app until my device can't run it anymore; by that time I'm sure there will be a high-tech alternative, but if I have to switch to pen-and-paper logging, by God I'll do it. Mid-March has also historically been my high-water mark and I tend to fall off the wagon around St. Paddy's Day for whatever reason. I had a 1-year streak once, I think that was 2015 probably? not sure, but I kindasorta cheated and there were many days when I just opened the app to keep the streak and didn't log anything, or logged breakfast and stopped there.
  • anna_losingit
    I have such a hard time with measuring/tracking! It stems from my awful 2-3 year keto struggles (I have pcos and mild insulin resistance so I was told to do keto) that it’s like pulling hair for me. Unless something flips a switch soon I don’t see my hate for tracking change but I agree - I shouldn’t do anything I can’t sustain since I also want this to be my last time losing. I will try to have an open mind and give it another go.

I decided I’m going to try doing a somewhat lower carb version but definitely not going keto. Once I am out of insulin resistance territory (it seems to go away with weight loss but comes back when I get above 215ish lbs) I will probably incorporate more carbs if it doesn’t cause me to gain. If I try to keep in mind the type of food, portions- I’m not restricting myself from anything. I just need to remember moderation is key 🔑

I am excited to get the game! Thanks for the reply!
  • anna_losingit
    Bump* just in case people who are actually awake can see 🙃

Tell me all your experiences with the Ring Fit!
  • sirtimmah
    sirtimmah Posts: 1 Member
    Just got ring fit and did my first workout. I really like the style, there were a few times where I forgot I was working out!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I also have PCOS/insulin resistance/all that crap. I literally cannot afford to do keto. I'm on a budget, protein is expensive, rice and pasta are cheap. There are low-carb versions of those things, but all of them are significantly more expensive and don't taste as good to boot; it's much easier to just eat smaller portions of rice and pasta. If anything, that stretches my budget even further.

You will probably see an uptick on the scale when you reintroduce carbs - that's water retention, it's a thing that happens. I'm sure you know but just as a reminder, it's easy to get so caught up in the numbers on the scale that we lose sight of the overall trend. I'm up almost a pound today from last week; pretty sure it's not fat, just water, and I'm not trying to lose water, I'm trying to lose fat.

On the subject of Ring Fit Adventure: I've had music from the game running through my head all week, LOL. Right now it's the cooldown stretch theme, earlier this week it was a combo of the nighttime jogging music and the random encounter battle song.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    I also have PCOS/insulin resistance/all that crap. I literally cannot afford to do keto. I'm on a budget, protein is expensive, rice and pasta are cheap. There are low-carb versions of those things, but all of them are significantly more expensive and don't taste as good to boot; it's much easier to just eat smaller portions of rice and pasta. If anything, that stretches my budget even further.

You will probably see an uptick on the scale when you reintroduce carbs - that's water retention, it's a thing that happens. I'm sure you know but just as a reminder, it's easy to get so caught up in the numbers on the scale that we lose sight of the overall trend. I'm up almost a pound today from last week; pretty sure it's not fat, just water, and I'm not trying to lose water, I'm trying to lose fat.

On the subject of Ring Fit Adventure: I've had music from the game running through my head all week, LOL. Right now it's the cooldown stretch theme, earlier this week it was a combo of the nighttime jogging music and the random encounter battle song.

I hope you don't mind me quoting you but, for me, your post illustrates something very important that I may have missed very early on. IMHO, each person's health and wellness needs to be customized to what works for them - whether that is their workouts (I'll never ever enjoy running for running sake so I know not to incorporate runs into my workout); their budget (I can't afford the home gym piece of equipment I want or to eat fresh ahi tuna (massive protein per calorie)); their body (can affect diet, exercises, etc); their circumstance (time constraints for meal prep, exercise, etc); and their psyche (what is something that i can sustain based on me), etc.

I'm extremely happy that you found what works for you (and boy do I agree with you on some of those expensive low-carb versions). I'm also very happy that I figured out what works for me.

I fear some people may want a drawn map on how to get to their goal and copy other people's plans, perhaps not considering that the other person's map may not be the best route for both of them. I like to consider things other people are doing to incorporate aspects into my own plan. I went everyone to find their own best plan to their health and wellness.
  • anna_losingit
    sirtimmah wrote: »
    Just got ring fit and did my first workout. I really like the style, there were a few times where I forgot I was working out!
    That’s awesome!! I got the game today but waiting on the switch now but should be here tomorrow! My 5 year old and I can’t wait to try it out! I love that he’s excited about it - I never was influenced to exercise when I was little I would love to be that example for him and his brother!
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    I love the Ring Fit Adventure. Not as much as my old Kinect games yet, but admittedly I haven’t put the time into it yet. It is fun though, and presents a different sort of challenge!
  • jeff7252
    jeff7252 Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2021
    That’s awesome!! I got the game today but waiting on the switch now but should be here tomorrow! My 5 year old and I can’t wait to try it out! I love that he’s excited about it - I never was influenced to exercise when I was little I would love to be that example for him and his brother!

I can't speak to the game itself, but I think it's really important that he does grow up with a positive relationship with exercise and physical activity. You're right that doesn't happen automatically, even for little boys. It's great that he'll be following your example and incorporating physical activity into family time like this. He doesn't have to ever be a super athlete, but keep encouraging him until he finds something he likes, if not one thing than keep trying things until he finds something he can stick with so his associations with PA and exercise stay positive, particularly lifelong activities.

Today we saw a Mom and her elementary school aged son going for a run around the block. It wasn't a "run" in the traditional adult sense, but that's not the point. There were occasional distractions. Her son would sprint ahead a little bit and then run back to Mom who was trying to keep a slow but steady jog. What matters is that he was out there spending time with Mom and having fun. Those kind of moments, evolving forward in an age appropriate way are really what this is about.