Body recomp

Looking to lose some fat but try and keep to a similar weight as don’t want to look skinny. Any tips or advice on calories and training?

Replies

• dharbolt
    dharbolt Posts: 15 Member
    Start tracking your lifts, stick to a program and ensure you are progressing in weight or reps. without progression there is little stimulus encouraging muscle growth. Eat at maintenance calories and your body will use your fat reserves to fuel your muscle growth.
  • Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 393 Member
    dharbolt wrote: »
    Start tracking your lifts, stick to a program and ensure you are progressing in weight or reps. without progression there is little stimulus encouraging muscle growth. Eat at maintenance calories and your body will use your fat reserves to fuel your muscle growth.

Should I throw in some cardio too?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Eat at or around your weight maintenance calories.
    Train in a way appropriate to your lifting status and aligned with your goals.
    Have you seen the list of programs pinned to the top of this forum?

Cardio means what to you? (It's a huge range!)
    What cardio fitness goals to you have?
    It's not going to be the primary driver for your progress and if you are eating back exercise calories it's neutral for your calorie balance.

Here's a link to the long running recomp thread which you might like to skim read - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    I've been recomping for six months. I am in a very slight calorie deficit and running a structured lifting program. It is a very slow process, however, I have seen solid improvements in strength and am beginning to see some definition in my arms, chest, back (traps and lats). That said I have a few stubborn areas in my middle that are very very slowly leaning out. Tracking is really important if you're in a slight deficit. As for cardio - I've always been a runner so I still run 10 - 15 miles a week give or take (primarily so I can enjoy a few cocktails during the weekend). Heart health is an important consideration for total body health. Net/net: slight calorie deficit + structured lifting program + patience = success. I still have a way to go, but if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!
  • Gymladmatt
    DoubleG2 wrote: »
    I've been recomping for six months. I am in a very slight calorie deficit and running a structured lifting program. It is a very slow process, however, I have seen solid improvements in strength and am beginning to see some definition in my arms, chest, back (traps and lats). That said I have a few stubborn areas in my middle that are very very slowly leaning out. Tracking is really important if you're in a slight deficit. As for cardio - I've always been a runner so I still run 10 - 15 miles a week give or take (primarily so I can enjoy a few cocktails during the weekend). Heart health is an important consideration for total body health. Net/net: slight calorie deficit + structured lifting program + patience = success. I still have a way to go, but if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck!

I’m planning on taking up running as used to enjoy it in my younger years but stopped when got into lifting weights but will start doing a few runs per week along with weight training
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    What is your current body composition:

body fat %

# lean mass

?
  • Gymladmatt
    wiigelec wrote: »
    What is your current body composition:

body fat %

# lean mass

?

I’d say body fat is probably 25-30% and weigh 184 pounds. I’ll upload a pic
  • Gymladmatt
  • wiigelec
    Not worried about pics, thanks though.

I would say to accurately check body fat. Accu-Measure makes a caliper that can be used with one measurement above the hip and is reportedly pretty precise:

https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Body-Caliper/dp/B000G7YW74

Assuming though that 25-30% is accurate (will split difference at 27.5) means you have 133.4# of lean mass—184*(1-.275).

There are basically three options (sure you already know this anyway, but):

1) Cut - to get to 15% body fat and assuming zero lean loss you would need to weigh 156.9 — 184*(1-.15).

2) Recomp - eat maintenance and train hard

3) Bulk to some predetermined level of lean mass then cut to desired body fat level.

I understand your hesitance to cut, I feel the same way, but having said that, it is the route I’m currently taking.

You could try a recomp and see if it works for you. I tried for almost a year and didn’t have much success.

Probably wouldn’t recommend the bulk option.

Whatever you choose, in my opinion it is best to track body fat and lean mass weekly to make sure your diet and training are having the desired effects. For example if you are losing too much lean mass in a cut or not gaining enough on a recomp or bulk, you probably need to reassess your training protocol. I think measuring and tracking are the most important because otherwise you are just flying blind.
  • wiigelec
    edited March 2021
    Also, based on your other thread, I don’t think your training protocol is sufficient for your goals. Though you haven’t provided any details on intensity or volume, I don’t think they are appropriate for what you want to accomplish, otherwise you would be seeing the results you are after.
  • Gymladmatt
    Not worried about pics, thanks though.

I would say to accurately check body fat. Accu-Measure makes a caliper that can be used with one measurement above the hip and is reportedly pretty precise:

https://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Body-Caliper/dp/B000G7YW74

Assuming though that 25-30% is accurate (will split difference at 27.5) means you have 133.4# of lean mass—184*(1-.275).

There are basically three options (sure you already know this anyway, but):

1) Cut - to get to 15% body fat and assuming zero lean loss you would need to weigh 156.9 — 184*(1-.15).

2) Recomp - eat maintenance and train hard

3) Bulk to some predetermined level of lean mass then cut to desired body fat level.

I understand your hesitance to cut, I feel the same way, but having said that, it is the route I’m currently taking.

You could try a recomp and see if it works for you. I tried for almost a year and didn’t have much success.

Probably wouldn’t recommend the bulk option.

Whatever you choose, in my opinion it is best to track body fat and lean mass weekly to make sure your diet and training are having the desired effects. For example if you are losing too much lean mass in a cut or not gaining enough on a recomp or bulk, you probably need to reassess your training protocol. I think measuring and tracking are the most important because otherwise you are just flying blind.

Thanks some great advice👍
    I really don’t fancy cutting as would feel real skinny and weak at a much lower weight. Think recomp is my best option with training hard and a very slight calorie deficit and some weekly cardio
  • wiigelec
    edited March 2021
    If you could provide some additional pertinent details of your training, it may be easier to identify any potential shortcomings and maybe point you in a direction more suitable for your goals:

- exercise selection: what lifts are you doing?
    - frequency: how often are you performing each lift?
    - intensity: what weight are you using? lifting to failure or reps left in tank?
    - volume: how many sets and reps are you doing for each lift?
    - progression: how are you adding weight, sets or reps to each lift?
  • Gymladmatt
    If you could provide some additional pertinent details of your training, it may be easier to identify any potential shortcomings and maybe point you in a direction more suitable for your goals:

- exercise selection: what lifts are you doing?
    - frequency: how often are you performing each lift?
    - intensity: what weight are you using? lifting to failure or reps left in tank?
    - volume: how many sets and reps are you doing for each lift?
    - progression: how are you adding weight, sets or reps to each lift?

Full body workout twice per week due to work shift pattern and kids.
    3 sets and 4 exercises per workout doing squats, row, bench press, overhead press.
    Always look to increase reps and weight at each workout
  • wiigelec
    Still need more info:

- barbells or dumbells?
    - how many reps per set?
    - how many times per week squatting? how many times per week benching? how many times per week pressing? how many times per week deadlifting?
    - what is your exertion level on each lift? are you training to failure or leaving reps in the tank? in other words what is your RPE?
    - what did your last four weeks of progress look like on the squat? bench? press? deadlift?
  • Gymladmatt
    Still need more info:

- barbells or dumbells?
    - how many reps per set?
    - how many times per week squatting? how many times per week benching? how many times per week pressing? how many times per week deadlifting?
    - what is your exertion level on each lift? are you training to failure or leaving reps in the tank? in other words what is your RPE?
    - what did your last four weeks of progress look like on the squat? bench? press? deadlift?

Barbell. Limited equipment due to gyms not open at the moment.
    Squat bench and press twice per week. 3 sets each working in 5-8 rep range.
    Looking to leave 1-2 reps in the tank per set
  • wiigelec
    No deadlift?
  • wiigelec
  • wiigelec
    You’re benching and pressing in the same workout?
  • Gymladmatt
    You’re benching and pressing in the same workout?

Workout A
    Bench x3
    Row x3
    Squat x3
    Workout B
    Shoulder press x3
    Pull up x3
    Deadlift x3
  • wiigelec
    Ok now I’m confused. You said you were doing full body twice per week and squatting twice per week, but your A and B workouts only have you squatting once per week...