Guidance Needed

Options
So I've lost a significant amount of weight. I'm so tired of being on this weight loss journey and just want to be maintaining. I want to lose the last 30 pounds this year. I fell off over the holidays and gained about 10 pounds just eating out and not caring. I've been trying to lose just those 10 pounds and have been having a hard time.

I was doing so well last july and august. I ate around 1300-1600 calories and was running and doing strength workouts. Now I'm working my way up to eating atleast 1400 - 1500 calories. I work out about twice a day now but I have started back running. The scale is mainly going up and down between 157 - 160. I just can't seem to break past 157, even though I got down to 147 last year.

I'm wondering if ya'll know any tips or can see from my food diary what the issue is.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary but there are forum folks who are more accustomed to providing nutrition tips than me. Taking your log to an actual nutritionist or dietitian might also be helpful.

And you "two-a-day" every day?
  • Oneka5
    Oneka5 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I can't see your food diary but there are forum folks who are more accustomed to providing nutrition tips than me. Taking your log to an actual nutritionist or dietitian might also be helpful.

And you "two-a-day" every day?

sorry I just made my food diary public. Yeah I'm trying to see if I can figure it out myself before paying to see someone. Only because i've been doing it for so long i feel i should be able to figure it out; but maybe not. I try to work out at least once a day Monday - Friday. I've been enjoying these live stream workouts so I do tend to work out twice at least 5 days a week and rest on the weekend.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,135 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You don't seem to be weighing any of your foods, all I see is foods in numbers of servings, slices, units, tablespoons...
    And the foods like 'tuna salad' and 'cauliflower rice chicken casserole', are these recipes you've created yourself based on the weights of the individual ingredients you used? Or using generic entries you found in the databse?
    I would start there, you may be consuming more calories than you think.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I feel like this particular period of time has been hard. We've been in quarantine and in winter. But, spring is coming, the light is returning, the quarantine will hopefully lift, and we will all be able to be more active and social in the near future! I got to jog in shorts yesterday! This is giving me hope as I battle my winter weight bump.

My suggestion with your diary is to use the password feature and share it only with people who are really helpful. I've seen a lot of negativity. I agree with @MaltedTea (as usual) that finding a nutritionist is a good idea. You can share exclusively with them, for example, or anyone you choose.

Best of luck!
  • Oneka5
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You don't seem to be weighing any of your foods, all I see is foods in numbers of servings, slices, units, tablespoons...
    And the foods like 'tuna salad' and 'cauliflower rice chicken casserole', are these recipes you've created yourself based on the weights of the individual ingredients you used? Or using generic entries you found in the databse?

Yeah I guess I haven't had issues before so I haven't thought much about how I measure. When I meal prep next, I will weigh the food instead bc I have seen in the forums that it is a difference. Thanks! And yes those recipes are what I created. and I realize I could be off so I try to not eat all my calories or eat my fitness calories. just leaving some room for error.
  • Oneka5
    Options
    I feel like this particular period of time has been hard. We've been in quarantine and in winter. But, spring is coming, the light is returning, the quarantine will hopefully lift, and we will all be able to be more active and social in the near future! I got to jog in shorts yesterday! This is giving me hope as I battle my winter weight bump.

My suggestion with your diary is to use the password feature and share it only with people who are really helpful. I've seen a lot of negativity. I agree with @MaltedTea (as usual) that finding a nutritionist is a good idea. You can share exclusively with them, for example, or anyone you choose.

Best of luck!

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to warmer weather *praise hands*! and okay yeah there have been some weirdo friend requests lately so that might be a good idea about the password. thanks!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    In my area, ShopRite grocery stores provide the services of a Registered Dietician for free. A friend and I both used this service (different stores/dieticians), and we were both very happy. Perhaps you can find something similar in your area.

Good luck! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Oneka5 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

Yeah I guess I haven't had issues before so I haven't thought much about how I measure. When I meal prep next, I will weigh the food instead bc I have seen in the forums that it is a difference. Thanks! And yes those recipes are what I created. and I realize I could be off so I try to not eat all my calories or eat my fitness calories. just leaving some room for error.

If you under-fuel exercise, it can be counter-productive for weight loss, let alone health.

Underfueled exercise can have multiple negative effects.

One is that fatigue - possibly subtle fatigue - increases and bleeds calorie burn out of daily life (more resting, less movement (even things like fidgeting), slower hair/nails growth, maybe feeling cold more often . . . ).

Another it that exercise is a beneficial physical stress, within reason . . . but still a stressor. Stress in our lives is cumulative, across both physical and psychological stressors. A calorie deficit (at all) is a physical stress (a big one is a big stress, of course), exercise is a physical stress (and more exercise is more stress, so it can go beyond beneficial), and those add on to other stresses from job, home life, sub-ideal nutrition, pandemic, finances, or anything else. High stress can increase the probability of creeping water weight increase, and that water weight can hide fat loss on the bodyweight scale. How is your cumulative stress level?

Also, I believe that our bodies are good at adapting to the things we train them to do, via repetition. Are you training your body to thrive, or are you persuading it that it's in a time of famine and it should limp along spending the minimum of calories to keep you alive and moving? (Hunger is not a good indicator of where we are on that spectrum, IME as someone who accidentally under-ate for a short time.) It's possible for you to reduce your calorie needs, which will slow your weight loss, by training your body to expect famine conditions.

You've increased your exercise. If you're not eating back any exercise calories, I'd encourage you to reconsider whether that's still a good idea. For health-risk reasons, I think it's sensible to lose weight more slowly as goal gets closer.

I don't think any of what I'm saying is the pure and only reason you're not seeing weight loss now. The food-logging side is worth tightening down, and may shed light on the situation. But as you get closer to goal, managing all the factors carefully is going to be a help in making progress, especially in a slow-loss scenario (and help you create a good on-ramp to successful long-term maintenance through sustainable, healthy habits).

The things I mention can certainly be muddying the waters as you try to figure out what's going on.

Wishing you success!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    If you're down to the last 30-40 lbs and you've been at this a while, you're in the zone where you have a lot less room for error in your logging. Definitely step it up in that area until you see the scale trending in the right direction. Accurate logging of your intake is always troubleshooting step #1.

Make sure you're getting adequate rest with that much exercise, and make sure the exercise you're doing is purposeful and doesn't deplete you. Everyone is different, but I personally could never run and lift in the same day while in a deficit or I'd be too wiped out, too prone to injury, and not make any progress in either area. Not saying you necessarily need to change anything, just think about your training critically and don't overdo it because you feel like it's necessary to lose weight - it isn't.