What is the big deal about the Beck Diet Solution?

Options
cyaneverfat
cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
I've seen the book mentioned a lot of times in the forums and have read about a third of it.

Alot of it seems like woo to me like about always sitting down to eat.

What struck me is when they mentioned thin people as either not being interested in food or as watching their diets very carefully.

Thoughts?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this book. But what's wrong with sitting down when eating and taking the time for it rather than wolfing food down in a rush inbetween whatever?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Sitting down to eat and enjoying it are not woo. I live in Italy and that's one of the strong points---eating a meal seated with family. It's part of the Med diet. However, I am not familiar with the book.
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    I just thought it was calories in, calories out.anything else is secondary. They also stressed the importance of breakfast, even though many people successfully fast?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I just thought it was calories in, calories out.anything else is secondary. They also stressed the importance of breakfast, even though many people successfully fast?

CICO does rule, but there are many ways to do that. Standing and eating may cause you to eat more, mindlessly, and quickly, and forget to log it all. Breakfast, in my opinion is just a personal choice. Funny, I can jog on an empty stomach, but cannot swim--I feel lightheaded.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,119 Member
    Options

CICO does rule, but there are many ways to do that. Standing and eating may cause you to eat more, mindlessly, and quickly, and forget to log it all. Breakfast, in my opinion is just a personal choice. Funny, I can jog on an empty stomach, but cannot swim--I feel lightheaded.

The thing is: CICO does rule, but not everyone loses weight by counting calories. So eating more mindfully can be a strategy to decrease calorie intake for people who don't log. As can other tips you might find in dieting books (for example: using smaller plates,...). That doesn't mean it would work for everyone, but it's not utter nonsense.

Unfortunately, a lot of nonsense goes along with the less nonsense ideas, like breakfast being important, or needing to eat many smaller meals throughout the day to 'increase metabolism'...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

It looks like nobody really knows this book, thus we can't comment on whatever is written inside. Breakfast is totally up to you, as is all meal timing. Losing weight is all about cico. And about building good habits surrounding food. This will help you to keep the weight off. How you do that is up to you. Sitting down with the family or friend and eating together is one such way. Thus it's not woo. It's a way to value food and to enjoy it, instead of quickly eating something on the go. But of course this also doesn't work for everyone.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I've seen the book mentioned a lot of times in the forums and have read about a third of it.

Alot of it seems like woo to me like about always sitting down to eat.

What struck me is when they mentioned thin people as either not being interested in food or as watching their diets very carefully.

Thoughts?

Please say more about what struck you re: bolded.
    My thoughts: I have noticed people make a lot of assumptions. Many are not true. E.g. all fat people are lazy and all thin people can eat whatever they want without gaining. I fall into the "thin & watch very carefully" bucket, and it's amazing how much I hear, "Oh it's so easy for you" or "You're so lucky," even from my own family members who know I work at it. For me it takes discipline. Sometimes it takes more effort than it feels it should, but it's always worth the effort to me for my body to feel good.

This. One of the biggest revelations for me through this is the fact that while I always felt everyone ate more or less like I did - because they posted about their treats, or I saw them eating out - for me eating 'like that' was standard, and daily.

For them it was a very occasional thing

AND in many cases they had much more activity in their lives re: hobbies that just didn't occur to me to account for.

They're working at it. I just didn't see/hear them working at it and assumed my eating habits were pretty normal based on seeing their "special event" eating.

Bad assumption.
  • cyaneverfat
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has commented so far 🙂. I would type longer responses but I no longer have a computer.