Sodium allocation seems very high

Options
lilylily
lilylily Posts: 24 Member
My average intake of sodium is way below my daily MFP allocation of 2,300. It's usually somewhere around 600. I have high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes, both well-controlled by drugs, and am reluctant to increase my sodium intake to match the recommended 2,300.

Why is the allocation so high? Hope someone can advise please. I'm confused!

thanks
Sue

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    You have reasons to limit sodium. It's fine to change your MFP goal in set-up, if you want to. MFP gives generic values based on mainstream nutritional advice to average people. Generally, it's consistent with sources like USDA, NHS, WHO, etc. for *average* people. You're not average, in that particular way. People may need to customize the goals for medical or even personal-preference reasons.

Besides, as Lietchi says, the sodium goal is logically a maximum. Other goals are more logically minimums. MFP doesn't make a distinction between which to treat as minimums vs. maximums in their view, which is unhelpful IMO.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    What Ann said. I do not have high BP. I have borderline LOW BP. If I restrict sodium too far I get lightheaded and feel gross. Sodium is one of those things where you listen to your doctor.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    The need for electrolytes is unrelated to you medical conditions. When your kidneys fail for lack of electrolytes you will have yet another medical problem caused by your diet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s a number set by the USFDA, not MFP.
  • lilylily
    lilylily Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very helpful.