Daily calorie count

Options
I am 56yrs old male trying to lose 90lbs Set my daily cal to range from 1200 but not over 1500 low sodium 1900mg have trouble getting 1200cals usually 1100 do I need to eat more I feel full

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    it is very easy to overcorrect and take out all the calorie dense foods (go low/no fat, tons of veg and lean protein, remove bread, whatever) PUT SOME OF THOSE BACK.
  • GeekDadCS
    GeekDadCS Posts: 153 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    1200 is a little low. The human body generally needs 1500 just being alive every day. I agree that you should probably add some things back.
  • tkessley604
    tkessley604 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having trouble with low sodium/low cal/ high protein foods seems like everything has sodium
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Low sodium is hard, particularly in anything prepackaged. The best I can tell you is that cottage cheese and greek yogurt are relatively low sodium and actual meat is low sodium. Eggs, too.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Having trouble with low sodium/low cal/ high protein foods seems like everything has sodium

Has your doctor prescribed low sodium for medical reasons? If not, reduce your sodium here and there but don't try to eliminate it. Make sure you stay hydrated.

1200 is too low for an adult MALE. Your minimum (after exercise) should be at least 1500.

Re: your post above "low cal foods".......if you can't meet calorie goals, then ease up on the low cal a bit.

Full fat dairy: Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, full fat milk, lower sodium cheeses. All good protein sources.

Nuts and nut butters are small portions but can bump up your calories nicely. Healthy fats and a bit of protein.

Eggs, beef, pork, chicken and seafood. Unless processed, these are generally low sodium protein options.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    You’re giving up muscle mass eating so little. Use the calculators to set a calorie target to lose 2 lbs per week and stick to the number. Don’t go to pieces when your losses slow down. 90 lbs is a long term project.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to consume more calories.
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have 100 pounds and my calories are set at 1780. Sometimes I only eat 1500 but I am losing weight. This is a two year project for me.

Up your calories and you will feel better and still lose weight.