UnderEating

QueenOfVines
QueenOfVines Posts: 50 Member
I have been underweight all my life. mostly 41kg . Nowadays, i'm borderline underweight, at 45.4kg.

My goal is to put on more muscle weight.

One big problem.... I find it hard to eat more. It feels like a chore and takes great effort. That i have to do it clean, takes even more effort.

I find it daunting.

Whenever I record my calories, Fitness Pal says that I'm undereating.

Is there any cheat code to eating more ? I envy my friend who seems to find so much joy in eating. to me it just feels like a chore.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Eat calorie dense foods. The bidy doesn't distinguish if you're eating ground hamburger meat or a sirloin steak. It just breaks both down to simplest form (which is EXACTLY the same for both) and absorbed. It's why clean eating doesn't really affect one as much as promoted.
    Hamburgers and pizza are my go to's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Comment inspired by Starting Strength, which I’ve recently read.

Whole milk contains nearly 400 calories per pint, with a decent blend of macros and nutrients. Two pints a day and I’d guess you’ll see progress.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Why do you have to do it clean? A simple 250 extra calories a day can help you gain over time. That’s a couple spoons of peanut butter or a single candy bar. If you are getting your nutrients in the rest of your food, there’s no harm is adding some high caloric items to your diet to help you meet your goals.
  • spiralarchitect924
    spiralarchitect924 Posts: 17 Member
    I am in the same boat mate. I love eating but eating to the point where your bloated sucks. I thi k eating food that tastes good helps haha. Like others have said, milk and peanut butter works well for me good luck.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited March 2021
    I just logged 1020 Calories of easter egg chocolates. I DID manage to stop myself from opening the box of cookies. I don't have a limit for cookies that are dunked in a glass of milk or, even better, hot chocolate....

You don't get bonus points for eating much more than 800-1000g of vegetables and fruits a day and more than 1g of or so of protein per lb of bodyweight. Well, sufficient fiber and a few good fats would be good too.

But that's kinda where the bonus points stop.

Where exactly does the bulking with clean food only requirement come from?

<ps: I am NOT bulking... so the chocolate and cookies were NOT recommended for my caloric goals!>
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    It's probably healthier to get to normal weight than to worry about eating "clean". Eating "clean" is such an arbitrary vague term anyway.

I like protein shakes to get in missing calories. Especially if I workout late and don't feel like "eating" afterwards.

For protein shakes I use unsweetend oat milk as a basis, protein powder and then add whatever I like: peanut butter (calorie dense, protein), linseed (fiber, Omega-3), oats (carbs, fiber, micronutrients), berrys, fruits, coconut flakes ... options are endless. You can adjust taste and calories easily.

Also ... ice cream :D