Why am I so bloated?

This is so odd, I’ll start by saying from earlier this year to present day, I’ve gained around 7-8 lbs. I’ve maintained my weight loss for the past 3 years and this *kitten* happens. I was very upset with myself and went back on weight watchers. I went based on my weight from the doctor earlier in February to track my heaviest weight. I was 192.4 in Feb, last Monday I was at 188.2. I usually weigh around 180-185, that’s what I’ve maintained. Anyway I start weight watchers on 3/5 and I was 188.2 last Monday. Since last Thursday, I have been so bloated. I woke up at 4 this morning and feel so full, but since Thursday to present I’m stuffed. From Thursday to present, I have eaten an omelette for Bfast. It’s a good size but it has healthy things, usually with toast and potatoes. And I have something light for the rest of the day. This usually isn’t an issue, I’m eating within 1200 calories each day but I am stuffed. I’ve taken a digestive enzyme, I drink a detox tea (14 day trial) and drink tons of water. I don’t think this has happened before, I feel the urge to have a bowel movement but nothing happens. The only thing that I think could have triggered the bloating episode last Thursday was when I had a skinnylicious pasta dish from Cheesecake Factory, I think they overdid the portion. But everyday since then I’m eating right. Idk, I got new birth control (Kyleena IUD) but the weight gain took place before it was even inserted. Am I just stuck with weight loss? I’m not gonna lose the weight am I 😭. I did not lose any last week, my weigh in day is tomorrow.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    When was your last physical?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • danielleg0094
    danielleg0094 Posts: 38 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    When was your last physical?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I went to my OBGYN earlier in March that’s it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Have you significantly reduced the amount of fat you're eating, and/or increased fiber (like more veggies and such)? Have you changed exercise or other aspects of activity level? Did you stop using another contraceptive (like a pill) before/when you got the IUD?

You can lose weight, don't worry. (There may be some how/when questions, but you *can* - that's not a question.) It's very probable that what you're seeing on the scale is some temporary issue that is *not* fat gain, but that's giving you confusing scale results in the short run, and that it can be resolved in the long run.

There are lots of possibilities, but you probably guessed from my questions that I'm wondering if it's food related. It could even be the detox tea, if the timing is similar, or any of a number of other things.

Your next weigh-in may or may not be what you'd hope, but please do try not to stress about short-run scale weirdness (stress has the potential to increase water retention, which would be counter-productive). Just eat sensibly, work on stress reduction, and don't make any more big changes. If it doesn't resolve soon, especially if you feel poorly, see your doctor again, of course.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    You could be constipated, you could be retaining water from your new birth control, or a food you are eating. It is very unlikely it is all actual fat.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I will bet it is the detox tea. What are the ingredients of the tea?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited March 2021
    OK
    I feel the urge to have a bowel movement but nothing happens.....bloating episode....

Weigh in days acquire a weird degree of importance when you're engaged in a social exercise where everyone applauds big number changes... I prefer to look at my scale, record my (almost) daily weigh ins, and then look at my weight trend change over time... the social aspect of letting people know about my results being optional... works well for me! :wink:

I can guarantee you that I wouldn't even bother to record my weight if I haven't had a bowel movement! I am interest in fat change... not digestive content accumulation and emptying!

I recognize that people who may be less, shall we say, regular, may have to consider and record their weight regardless of their daily constitutional's success. Their weight trend WILL still emerge over a sufficient length of time... but it will be harder to see in the short term)

In any case...and as always, I would urge anyone who has unexplained/unexpected bowel movement changes to visit their doctor and rule out any other issues!
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Same thoughts as Anne. Try some full fat options and see if that helps.