Introduction

Hi,
My name isTim
62 years old
I have lost 64 pounds since September of 2020.
Before the patting on the back begins, I should mention that I have 64 pounds more to go, and gained 40 or so pounds of that during my quarantine sit-in (meaning I virtually didn't move except to lift a fork to my mouth for 10 months.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday with a diagnosis of Congestive heart failure.
Never been one to take labels very seriously, I'm grateful for the health that I enjoy and I will do my best to eat and live within the proper guidelines.

I'm very Interested in any sodium free recipes and/or alternatives.
Do you have an opinion about the seasoning called accent?
I have been eating whole foods and unprocessed meals almost exclusively since I began (monthly pizza party).
I was in a car accident where practically every bone (except spinal cord area -THANK YOU GOD!!) got broken, pelvis and hips shattered, so I am mostly dependent upon a wheelchair.
It makes exercise a little more challenging and frankly I was never a big athletic enthusiast.

I love reading, old movies, really good detective shows and people willing to tell me the truth whether or to I agree with them (and they appreciate same frankness).
I hope I get to connect with some of you who may have similar challenges and or great perspectives/advice that you might offer me.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    There’s several wheelchair users here who have had considerable success losing. I’d try using the search engine and just look up “wheelchair” or “wheel chair” (for those of us who are spellcheck inflicted).

We cut salt back drastically many years ago when my husband was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Once you get over the hump, food still tastes good. I bet in the past twenty five years I’ve only bought three canisters of Morton’s, maybe two. Thank goodness salt doesn’t have a shelf life, right?!

I typically use anywhere from 1/10 to 1/5 the salt receives call for, unless it’s integral to the recipe (breads, for example). We buy low sodium broths, concentrates, canned goods, when available. It’s much easier to add salt-to-taste later than to have added it up front, and we seldom have to add it, we are so accustomed to not having salty food.

But then there’s those salty products like chips, pickles, deli meats. Oi vey.