lose 15 pounds by Memorial Day

I know it's an odd time to start but start I must. Summer's coming!

I'm at 165. I'd like to be below 150 for bathing suit season.

Now that it's warming up I'm really hoping that I can get out more, to reach my 10,000 steps per day & find a way to add other exercise to my life. There is no good place to exercise in my home. I gotta find a way to fix that but we have low ceilings in the basement, not good for jumping, and I'm not enamored with the idea of jumping in the living room. It's an old house.

I have to get back to drinking more water.

Without spending money on weights or machines does anybody have suggestions for additional exercise? I'm not comfortable going to a gym right now. I would like to find a low impact exercise routine for free on the internet or design one myself.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Walking is perfectly cromulent exercise, you could just do more of that. Maybe consider a Couch to 5k program, if you'd like to take up running.

There's tons of bodyweight exercise routines to be found around the internet. If you're able to do push-ups, you might try the Hundred Push-ups 6-week program - you start with as many good-form push-ups as you can do, then work at them 3 days a week for 6 weeks or until you can do 100 of them (5 sets of 20 each). There are similar programs for squats (200 Squats), sit-ups (100 Sit-Ups), triceps dips (150 Dips), and pull-ups (25 Pull-Ups), although those last two will require some equipment (you can do dips on a chair).
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Thanks but OMG that sounds intimidating. I don't think I've done 100 push ups in my whole life! OK probably in HS somebody forced me to do at least that many over the 4 years of gym glasses but I can't say I have done more than 5 push ups at any given time since then. I have never -- literally NEVER -- done a triceps dip or a pull up. I never had the upper body strength to do either. I used to get screamed at by the gym teacher & end up in tears so while your suggestion would probably be good for me physically, mentally you just turned me in a mass of quivering jello. My stomach hurts & I'm shaking just thinking about that level of intensity. (Not your fault but you & I are not on the same fitness page)

I need baby steps to ease into this. When the world was open & I had a gym membership it was at Planet Fitness & I would do their 30 minute circuit training work out with about 10 pounds for my arms & 40-50 pounds for my legs. At best when I was really putting effort & time into it I got up to 25 pounds for my arms. My legs are not the problem.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely can't do that many of any of those either and I, too, have never been able to do a pull-up. I've attempted those programs in the past and usually drop out around week 3 or 4, LMAO.
  • Trish1c
    Thanks. I feel better now.
  • pcn7
    pcn7 Posts: 11 Member
    Hello! I’d like to join! Yes, summer is coming. Just did 20 min of bike and about 30 weight bearing with pulleys. I need to lose 16.9 pounds! Need to control consumption of peanut butter with bananas and watch the alcohol. What to drink instead?

Got to work in the yard. Will be checking in?
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Hello. 15lbs would be a great start for me. Count me in!
  • Trish1c
    pcn7 wrote: »
    Hello! I’d like to join! Yes, summer is coming. Just did 20 min of bike and about 30 weight bearing with pulleys. I need to lose 16.9 pounds! Need to control consumption of peanut butter with bananas and watch the alcohol. What to drink instead?

Got to work in the yard. Will be checking in?

We could check in. Accountability is always helpful.

Come over to the less alcohol thread if you need help on that front. I rocked Dry January but then deluded myself into thinking I could add booze back in a little at time. Ha. Although I have managed to string together to AF (alcohol free) days this week.
  • jzymom
    jzymom Posts: 9 Member
    Hello All! Count me in for dropping 15 lbs for summer!!! Yessssss!!!! I’m working out at home and tracking what I eat. I’m making slow and steady progress. How is everyone doing out there? I look forward to reaching this goal with you all!
  • PatriciaNeves2015
    PatriciaNeves2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Hello! It's me checking in. Delighted! I dropped a pound! Was reasonable in food consumption yesterday!
    Will work in yard a bit! Love it! it rained yesterday! I didn't have to water the veggies. Im a newbie at growing veggies and having fun seeing new growth. The test of time is whether the darling plants will produce!

Have a good day! Let's keep up our efforts.
    Good going izymom! Thank you Trish1c!