Picnic food ideas?

lilyxxxz
lilyxxxz Posts: 12 Member
Friends and I are planning to have a picnic, so I come to collect some picnic food ideas. I guess we will want foods that are easy to prepare and need no reheat. But any ideas are welcome. I don't mind doing some more preparation if the food tastes really good! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    What's the vibe of this picnic, is it a dainty fancy-lady outdoor luncheon or is this more of a chips-and-dip type of affair?

If it's dainty lady time, pinwheel sandwiches are great. Roll up cold cuts and cheese in a tortilla, cut into ~1" sections. Keep chilled but take care that they don't get soggy.

If you're low-carbing it, just rolling up the lunchmeat and cheese together into little logs is also acceptable. Thinner-sliced or spreadable cheese works best; salami-wrapped cream cheese is a classic, but ham wrapped around port wine cheddar spread is also delightful.

If you're feeling nostalgic, ants on a log is always a winner IMO - that's peanut butter or cream cheese packed into the channel of a piece of celery, with raisins pressed into the spread.
  • lilyxxxz
    lilyxxxz Posts: 12 Member
    What's the vibe of this picnic, is it a dainty fancy-lady outdoor luncheon or is this more of a chips-and-dip type of affair?

If it's dainty lady time, pinwheel sandwiches are great. Roll up cold cuts and cheese in a tortilla, cut into ~1" sections. Keep chilled but take care that they don't get soggy.

If you're low-carbing it, just rolling up the lunchmeat and cheese together into little logs is also acceptable. Thinner-sliced or spreadable cheese works best; salami-wrapped cream cheese is a classic, but ham wrapped around port wine cheddar spread is also delightful.

If you're feeling nostalgic, ants on a log is always a winner IMO - that's peanut butter or cream cheese packed into the channel of a piece of celery, with raisins pressed into the spread.

Thank you! It won't be a dainty fancy-lady outdoor luncheon but the recipe sounds good, and I believe one of my friends will appreciate it if I can low-carb it
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    My favorite picnic was always steamed asparagus, goat cheese, pesto & crusty baguette, eaten separately or as an asparagus sandwich. Also deli sliced chicken (or prosciutto) wrapped around the asparagus spears. Asparagus is in season, and it's properly a finger food, so go for it! Anything tasty at room temp works.

Also, mayonnaise often gets a bad rap for spoiling at room temp, but actually, the acidity in mayonnaise kills bacteria that might form in other stuff in your sandwich, like deli meat. So do not fear the mayo! https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/33212/room-temperature-rest-for-fresh-mayo/33331#33331
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    If you have a way to keep things chilled (just any basic cooler will do), I love "refrigerator salads," that you can pre-dress and they will still stay sturdy and not fall apart: https://www.budgetbytes.com/refrigerator-salads-for-eating-healthy/

My favorites from this list are the cowboy caviar, parsley and apricot, and honey mustard broccoli (though you can use less honey than she says and it's still plenty sweet.)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Side of salad with watermelon cubes, crumbled, whole mint leaves. Can be drizzled with a little pomegranate molasses or balsamic on site. Still looks appetizing after sitting around a few hours.

Dessert of eton mess. That's strawberries, and crumbled meringue nexts drizzled with cream or yoghurt. Can be assembled on site if you hull and halve the strawberries at home. Whipping the cream is optional.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Make a stromboli, it's essentially a rolled up pizza.

My non-dainty favourites would be sausage rolls and scotch eggs.