Going on vacation!

Options
Okay, so I'm going on vacation in a few weeks for about 2 months. I'm about to finally move in to maintenance calories and actually thinking about "practicing" in September for like a week or two of no logging or weighing food to see if I can trust myself to eyeball food portions or if my body knows when to stop when full. So when vacation time comes, I'll be more confident. Honestly, been thinking about bringing my food scale on vacation with me. Lol Have any of you vacationers done this? What's the most you've gained on a vacation? Kinda nervous to gain but excited for the vacation! And yes I know the vacation shouldn't be focused on food but not being able to weigh food kinda makes me uneasy. I don't do it all the time now, but I do when I can.

Thoughts?

Replies

• MaddieHard
    MaddieHard Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Vacation...that's so exciting! I definitely love your idea of practicing ahead of time, just so when you go you feel more confident and are less stressed. Last time I went on vacation I lost 4 pounds in a week but to be honest it was because I was so stressed out about gaining weight that I barely eat... not good!

Since then I have purchased a portable weight scale (for your body) from a website called think geek, inbox me and I can send you the link and bring tablespoons everywhere!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
  • aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    Do you plan on tracking calories for the rest of your life? Bring the scale.
    BUT if you plan on one day being able to live a normal life and still maintain your body, then read further:

Ditch the food scale for now. Listen to your body instead.

- Eat slow. Actually ENJOY the food.
    - Stop eating when you feel satisfied. (easier to do the slower you eat, because the tasty-ness of the food dies down after the first few bites)
    - Choose healthy food options.

If you want a slice of cake one day, eat some. Key is to eat it slowly, savor the flavors. You'll find you wont want the whole slice afterall, just a few bites will satisfy your craving. Granted, don't eat cake every night. Save it for those special moments.

I havent tracked my food since the beginning of July, and I haven't gained a pound. I've actually lost a pound. I just continue my workouts, eat when Im hungry, make good choices, stop when Im full, and I find that it suits my lifestyle a lot better than tracking everything. I love it.
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Vacation...that's so exciting! I definitely love your idea of practicing ahead of time, just so when you go you feel more confident and are less stressed. Last time I went on vacation I lost 4 pounds in a week but to be honest it was because I was so stressed out about gaining weight that I barely eat... not good!

Since then I have purchased a portable weight scale (for your body) from a website called think geek, inbox me and I can send you the link and bring tablespoons everywhere!

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Yeah I think I need the practice! Might start today! I don't want to be obsessive when I'm vacation! Lol But I also don't want to gain! Thank you so much! :)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on tracking calories for the rest of your life? Bring the scale.
    BUT if you plan on one day being able to live a normal life and still maintain your body, then read further:

Ditch the food scale for now. Listen to your body instead.

- Eat slow. Actually ENJOY the food.
    - Stop eating when you feel satisfied. (easier to do the slower you eat, because the tasty-ness of the food dies down after the first few bites)
    - Choose healthy food options.

If you want a slice of cake one day, eat some. Key is to eat it slowly, savor the flavors. You'll find you wont want the whole slice afterall, just a few bites will satisfy your craving. Granted, don't eat cake every night. Save it for those special moments.

I havent tracked my food since the beginning of July, and I haven't gained a pound. I've actually lost a pound. I just continue my workouts, eat when Im hungry, make good choices, stop when Im full, and I find that it suits my lifestyle a lot better than tracking everything. I love it.

Yes, I do plan to live a normal life without obsessing about food. Yay for losing a pound and not gaining! Hopefully the same result for me! Thank you for the advice!