Need some help and support

Options
Hi,

Since last year I have been going through some digestive issues. I'm at the tale end of it right now....Therr is a light at the end of the tunnel and I see it. Unfortunately I have put on some weight since last year (about 30 pounds). I started the gym and dieting consistently (tracking everything) for a month. I measured myself with a tape measurer and noticed I lost nothing. I stopped and cried and sabatoged my efforts. I'm on day 3 of destruction and it doesn't feel good. I want to get back to where I was but how do I get motivated if I don't see results? Throughout this year I jave attempted to get back up and start my workout routine and diet again but something always pushed me down. This time it was just not seeing results. Has anyone been here before and if so how did you come out of it? I want to start again and not fall....I feel that times and I dont think I can take it again. How can I move forward and be positive and know I will achieve?!?!

I'm not a scale watcher but I do track my.progress with a tape measurer...

Replies

• StrengthShark
    StrengthShark Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’ve definitely been there and still are there from time to time when you feel completely discouraged. It’s normal so don’t beat yourself up too much! It has taken me to lose nearly 40 Ibs over the space of a year before my measurements started to change. Everyone’s body is different and there is no right timescale to lose the weight. I take progress pictures, sometimes the scale and measurements haven’t changed but I notice subtle changes in the photos.

Sometimes it’s about marking progress in different ways that are not how much weight is lost. Could be hitting your daily water intake, fixing a bad sleeping pattern, hitting a protein goal or doing a workout that day. Focus on daily achievements, setting healthier habits and life changes and the weight loss will follow.

I read something that completely changed my perspective. It could take you 6, 9 or 12+ months to lose the weight, that time will pass no matter what, trust the process and make progress and you won’t care how long it took you to get there, just that you did.

You got this, as long as you keep going and focus on progress you will succeed. Hope this helps! :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    I got in my car this morning and started driving.

There was a terrible racket from the front passenger tire.

I got out and found that it was totally flat.

I took out my illegal semi-automatic gun and shot out the rest of the damn tires to teach them a lesson about deflating without prior authorization!

🤷🏻‍♂️

(In case it is not obvious, being in Canada and not owning either an illegal or a legal gun, the above tyre retraining session never took place)
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    A tape measure can be really easy to mis-measure. Also, you have no control over what part of your body you lose fat from at any given time. Maybe you just didn't measure the spot where you lost from at first. Maybe the fat lost is so evenly spread out over your body that it's just a fraction of an inch over everywhere, and you just didn't hold the tape measure exactly as tight.

If you have 30 lbs to lose, you should be expecting to average around 1 lb per week. Four lbs might not make that dramatic a difference in your typical measurement spots yet.

It took you a yr to put the weight on, and it will probably take a yr to lose it. You need to put on your patient pants and not be so easily discouraged. You aren't going to see consistent visual progress, that's just not realistic. Focus on your logging, and creating good habits, on doing what you need to be healthier. If you are eating the correct amount of calories, the weight loss will follow. :smile:

Thanks so much for this your right! I'm so eager to get myself back to where I was that I didn't even look at it day by day. There is more then an expectancy to it. I'm going to be patient t and let the process work...Thank you.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I’ve definitely been there and still are there from time to time when you feel completely discouraged. It’s normal so don’t beat yourself up too much! It has taken me to lose nearly 40 Ibs over the space of a year before my measurements started to change. Everyone’s body is different and there is no right timescale to lose the weight. I take progress pictures, sometimes the scale and measurements haven’t changed but I notice subtle changes in the photos.

Sometimes it’s about marking progress in different ways that are not how much weight is lost. Could be hitting your daily water intake, fixing a bad sleeping pattern, hitting a protein goal or doing a workout that day. Focus on daily achievements, setting healthier habits and life changes and the weight loss will follow.

I read something that completely changed my perspective. It could take you 6, 9 or 12+ months to lose the weight, that time will pass no matter what, trust the process and make progress and you won’t care how long it took you to get there, just that you did.

You got this, as long as you keep going and focus on progress you will succeed. Hope this helps! :)

Your 100% right. It really doesn't matter how long it takes.me as long as I get there. And a great goal is to just hit the gym every day weather I feel it or not. I will focus on my daily achievements. I think that is the best thing to do. Thank you.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    When I rely too long on just one way of measuring my success with this -- usually the scale -- eventually the daily ups and downs of the numbers start to affect my confidence. Then I find myself exactly where you are, and frustration leads directly to resentful snacking. I do better when I can concentrate on things I have direct control over. Right now those things are making sure I get 2 fruits and 3 veg a day; half an hour of walking daily; and logging everything.

@kimny72 posted this a couple of years ago, and she says it better than I can. Try making smaller goals out of the process itself and see if that helps. Best of luck to you!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I got in my car this morning and started driving.

There was a terrible racket from the front passenger tire.

I got out and found that it was totally flat.

I took out my illegal semi-automatic gun and shot out the rest of the damn tires to teach them a lesson about deflating without prior authorization!

🤷🏻‍♂️

(In case it is not obvious, being in Canada and not owning either an illegal or a legal gun, the above tyre retraining session never took place)

Have you been in my head? This was my attitude for years!