Effect of dieting on Testosterone

Options
For the last month, I have been closely watching my calorie intake, staying between 1200-1500 a day. It has been working and I have been losing about 2 pounds a week. I was planning to increase my exercise as well, but I have been so tired. I had my testosterone tested last week and it came back low. I am a 54 year old male. 5'8" and currently about 235 pounds. Could the low testosterone partially be a result of dramatically cutting back on calories?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You're severely undereating, mate.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Actually excess bodyfat tends to lower testosterone.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Have you had your testosterone tested before, so you have a number to compare it to? If not, it could be that your testosterone has been low before (like Theoldguy1 said, excess fat tends to lower it) but you’re now exhausted due to the ridiculously low calorie intake.

Seriously. Eat more. I’m the same height, slightly lighter (220), female and lose weight at 1800-2000.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    " staying between 1200-1500 a day "
    Why are you eating so little?

" I was planning to increase my exercise as well, but I have been so tired "
    Don't crash diet then! You need to reassess the criteria you use for your diet "working" because it sounds like it's not.

" I had my testosterone tested last week and it came back low . I am a 54 year old male. 5'8" and currently about 235 pounds. Could the low testosterone partially be a result of dramatically cutting back on calories? "
    What was your T level before you started eating so low?

• Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    Yes, cutting hard can affect your test levels - but there's a lot of other factors at play too from things like how much sleep you get, vit d3, zinc and so on.

Also, if you have cut fats too far back in your diet, your body will not have the raw materials to make test from.