Hi all I'm new here. Motivation needed :)

WillHeWontHe
WillHeWontHe Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hey all. I'm a 34 year old lad married 7 years to an amazing wife and 2 fantastic kids. I'm 6ft and 105kg and hope to get to 90kg. I've tried losing weight in the passerby restricting my diet and did ok for about 4 months then got lazy. Hoping to stay motivated this time. I want to be around until I reach a good age. I have high cholesterol according to my doctor. I've started eating better only 2 days ago. Lots more fruit and veg. I'm struggling with not eating biscuits etc as I have a sweet tooth particularly at night time. I work 6am-2pm and 2pm-10pm changing weekly. I'm also on medication to treat anxiety and depression for the last 2 months. I look forward to making some friends here and finding motivation. In return I hope I can do the same. Add me if you like could do with the motivation 😄 Good luck

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,753 Member
    Hi, and welcome!

It doesn't work for everyone, but when I was struggling with cravings for baked goodies and candy, it helped me to make it a point to eat multiple servings of fruit every day. It took willpower for a while, but my cravings for the higher-calorie sweets gradually reduced. Like I said, it's not universally helpful, but I've seen others say the same, so it might be worth a try.

Wishing you much success!
  • WillHeWontHe
    Thanks I'll certainly give that a go...Ive started snacking on sultanas to combat the sweet craving and helping a but just need to keep eye on how many in eating
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Welcome. If you aren't already, weigh and measure everything you eat and drink with a digital food scale. You don't have a lot to lose--15 kg or 35 lbs, so you'll have to watch your intake while eating enough to fuel your needs. Don't know if you're doing some exercise, but try to move a bit. It helps with depression. Try to make good habits that you can keep up for the rest of your life. That's the way to successful weight loss. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    Thanks I'll certainly give that a go...Ive started snacking on sultanas to combat the sweet craving and helping a but just need to keep eye on how many in eating

I love dried fruit like that! If it's convenient for you, it might be worth exploring increased fresh or frozen fruit. The extra size and volume (which is mostly water) can be mysteriously more filling than something dried, even when the latter is eaten with water (or some such) alongside. If you're portioning your sultanas out slowly one at a time, this next may not be true, but fresh or frozen fruit usually takes more time to eat than dried (such as the dried mangos I enjoy), so it gives the body more time to register that it's getting food, and dampen the cravings.

These details differ for everyone; it's worth experimenting.

Best wishes!
  • WillHeWontHe
    Thanks snowflake. I'll try measuring out my food may be better than just reading the calories on the back of the packs :) my wife is supportive and I'm doing a bit of yoga with her a few time a week...I'm a welder so have a physical job also. Appreciate the advice
  • WillHeWontHe
    edited March 2021
    Definitely up for trying the dried mangos Ann, been a long time since I had them but will pick some up next food shop. I'm spreading half a cup of raisens through the day, a small handful anytime I get a sugar craving. I've replaced the sugar in my tea/coffee with canderella so sugar cravings higher than usual for the time being
  • bkaul2222
    bkaul2222 Posts: 15 Member
    Dried mangos slices are irresistible for me. I definitely have a sweet tooth too, but am working on reigning that in. Until that is, my aunt sent me some sweets from Trader Joe's. 😭
  • AnnPT77
    Definitely up for trying the dried mangos Ann, been a long time since I had them but will pick some up next food shop. I'm spreading half a cup of raisens through the day, a small handful anytime I get a sugar craving. I've replaced the sugar in my tea/coffee with canderella so sugar cravings higher than usual for the time being

Think about some whole fruit, too, maybe: Apples, oranges, that sort of thing? If needing it to travel well, maybe canned pineapple in juice in single-serve packs, or something like that? The whole fruits can be more filling, because of the volume.
  • NecessaryChange
    NecessaryChange Posts: 91 Member
    One thing my coach always tells me is if you absolutely crave for something it is best to cut it out.. but if you can't seem to do that.. try not to eat anything sweet until after supper as a desert. And try your best to limit it to just 1 serving. Fruit can absolutely help but fruit does add up quite a bit. I love banas and just 2 medium bananas have put me over my daily limit a few times lol. Good luck on your journey!
  • WillHeWontHe
    Since I started my healthy eating buzz I usually eat 1 X banana, apple, pear and a mandarin.... Breakfast is usually a bit of soda bread with 1 slice of ham and cheese and depending how I'm feeling some tomato/spinach/anchovie/peppers.....lunch I'll have 2 fruit helpings and a drink of diluted juice....dinner is different, smaller portions is what I'm eating compared to what I used to....today my wife is making home made lasagne with potato salad and mixed salad....but I picked up celeriac as a potato substitute as less than half the calories per 100g compared to potatoes. Supper.....no idea yet :) thanks for the advice and support all