You lost weight & have maintained it. Did you focus on healthier foods or just restrict calories????

Replies

• mehshell420
    mehshell420 Posts: 899 Member
    It's mainly been being more mindful of what I'm eating. I still treat myself when I want to, but try to eat less processed foods. Definitely a struggle since I don't make as much home cooked meals as I should be. Overall doing a decent job at maintaining my weight, but I still have a ways to go until I feel like I've accomplished my fitness goal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    NVintage wrote: »
    I know exercise is a huge part of maintaining weight loss, but how have you had to change your diet? Do you eat less the same foods or did you focus on eating healthier, more nutritious foods?

I just eat what i enjoy eating. Mostly 'healthy' and sometimes 'not so healthy', whatever that means. As I never followed a specific diet to start with but only ate less there was no transition into maintenance for me. Just eat a bit more again at a time and see where I end up.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I have always tried to eat healthy food, just ate too much of it (mainly trail mix-type stuff like unsalted nuts and dried fruits). And portion sizes were not controlled at all. I am now keeping my exercise at the higher level with which I started maintenance but not eating back those calories. And I log every day and stay under a cap that I've set because it seems to work for me to stay in the range I want, within a few pounds fluctuation only. Also keeping up with the water. So it felt a bit like still being on a diet the first few months but has now evolved into a plan that I think I can basically stick with for the rest of my life. I do NOT want to go through this again!
  • ThinisAsin333
    ThinisAsin333 Posts: 4 Member
    For me it's a bit of both.
    I eat fruit in the morning. (sometimes) Between breakfast & lunch I will sometimes eat a 100 cal or lower snack. Lunch I have at least a 300 calorie or lower meal, frozen meal or a (very) light salad. Dinner is when I try to have the most calories in a day. Last I noticed I slowly built calories. Mon (365). Tues (505). Wed (795). Thurs (185). Fri (180). Sat (425). Sun (520).
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    I just personally watch my calories.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    A combination of eating smaller portions, and making better choices seemed to do it for me. It was the mindless snacking on snacks that did me in, especially in the evening.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I messed up my stomach taking anti inflammatory medicines, and now trying no added sugars, just low fat lactose free dairy, and less gluten until my stomach gets better. I'm not enjoying it at all! I think it takes a lot of skill to make a healthy diet taste as good as an unhealthy one...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I've always been active. I just had to eat smaller portions since I already ate a good mixture of good/high calorie foods and "junk food".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NVintage
    I think it's good if a bit of junk food here and there helps you adhere to healthy foods 80-90% of the time. As long as a once a month $5 Pizza Hut pizza won't turn into a once a week $5 pizza, and then an every other day pizza treat!:D
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I replied earlier in the thread but this reply made me think of what is probably, actually, the biggest change in my diet:

It has improved, but it has improved largely in terms of the fact that I used to eat a lot more 'junk' because it was convenient, rather than I particularly loved it. I STILL do the unhealthy stuff, but now that it is less frequent and in smaller quantities I am more likely to save it for what I really want and really, really like.

I'm not going to the grocery store to get the brownie I mentioned in my previous post. It's not worth it. If I really want a brownie I'm going to the bakery and getting the really good one. It is more expensive both in money and calories, but since I'm not buying the kinda crappy one and eating three of them the overall cost (calories and money) is less, and the enjoyment is higher. It also means 'brownie' is a lower percentage of my overall diet.

Or I buy the low cal ice creams and bars, but I only use them to throw/blend into my coffee. If I'm gonna eat ice cream I'm still getting the premium stuff. Just... not as often.
  • Olafiina
    Olafiina Posts: 14 Member
    I genuinely enjoy "healthy" food, I'll often choose to have carrot soup instead of chips just because I love it. But I'm not going to feel guilty for having ice cream several nights out of the week either since I know it fits into my day calorie wise as well. Basically I just go with what I like and fit in "fun" stuff with the aim of 1600-1800 calories on average, It's good enough I suppose.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    A combination of diet and portion control. I still have my daily soda, just 12oz instead of 20oz, or two cookies instead of four. If I'm still hungry, that's where my diet change kicks in; thanks to my wife's insistence, I have added vegetables into my regimen, at first to be a "good role model for the kids" and later when I realized I actually have begun to enjoy the taste more as an adult than I did as a kid.

In summary: same treats as before (just half sized), add vegetables. Other than that, I only have two daily dietary goals: eat enough protein, and overall calories at or below maintenance total. Otherwise I allow myself to eat whatever...pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, etc. Just not typically the same day, as it's hard to meet calorie and protein goals if I do.
  • NVintage
    edited June 2021
    I've been losing weight, (the last 5 pounds) without even trying since starting a gluten free experiment for my stomach issues. (I think I messed it up taking some anti-inflammatory pills). I wouldn't advise it if you're able to eat wheat with no problem because bread is high in fiber and usually fortified with iron and folic acid, etc. However, if there is any intolerance it can really help! I'm just going to keep limiting gluten for a month or so and then slowly try incorporating it back into my diet a little.