Research on protein/exercise interaction among a middle-aged population

Options
durhammfp
durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
edited March 2021 in Food and Nutrition
https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/958576751

More protein doesn't mean more strength in resistance-trained middle-aged adults

"CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — A 10-week muscle-building and dietary program involving 50 middle-aged adults found no evidence that eating a high-protein diet increased strength or muscle mass more than consuming a moderate amount of protein while training. The intervention involved a standard strength-training protocol with sessions three times per week. None of the participants had previous weightlifting experience.

Published in the American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism, the study is one of the most comprehensive investigations of the health effects of diet and resistance training in middle-aged adults, the researchers say. Participants were 40-64 years of age."

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Call me skeptic, but a study that involves only 50 subjects, and that takes place for only 10 weeks (when we know that it takes months and sometimes years to properly develop strength and muscle mass) doesn't sound to me like "one of the most comprehensive investigations", but perhaps I'm wrong. ;)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Agree with you @GummiMundi.
    Too short a study to get anything worth acting on. (I only skimmed it)

The higher protein goal was lower than mine as an older woman who lifts.(0.8-1g/lbs) And there was nothing said about protein timing for better uptake as one ages.

Cheers, h.