My poor kitty :(

Options
recoveryjunky
recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
He has been peeing on everything for like a month and, obviously, I've been scolding him and spraying him with water, ect. He's just over a year old so I thought it was some kind of dominance thing as we have another male cat in the house. He went to pee on the floor last night and all that came out was three drops... of blood :( I did some research and I guess peeing out of the litterbox is the number one sign for a urinary tract infection in cats. I have had these before--they SUCK--and now I feel like the worst kitty mamma ever. Instead of getting him medicine, I was yelling at him. Instead of getting him to a doctor, I rubbed his face in it. Instead of comforting him, I grabbed him by the scruff and poured a glass of water on him.

anyone ever deal with UTI's in cats? I need to find something to make him feel better till I can get him to the vet later today.

Replies

• YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Take him to the vets RIGHT NOW. Don't treat him yourself and don't ask for suggestions online. He needs help from professionals as soon as possible.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't have any useful medical information to offer, just sympathy. Your cat knows you love him/her. You were doing what you could with the information you had. The important thing is to get kitty the help.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It would be great if they could talk, wouldn't it? At least you are taking him or her to the vet today. There isn't much you can do to alleviate it yourself.

Should you have any further issues with your animals urinating outside the litter box, I would suggest not rubbing their nose in the urine or pouring water on the cat. They don't learn from this, and, if they are not using their box, it is usually due to stress or a medical condition. The aforementioned actions will only serve to cause more stress.

I'm not trying to make you feel worse - it's just that if this should happen again, I want you to know.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've lost a male kitty to this. The Ash in cat food crystalizes in their bladders, it's very common for this to happen in male kitties.

This is very painful for them.

Get him to a vet, it may not be too late. I hope it's not too late.

My vet told me that seafood flavored dry cat food has the highest amount of Ash in it. I avoid it like the plague, and am a label reader for my kitties as well as myself.

I hope he gets better soon.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    wait a week and see how they are then take him to the vet if nothing has changed.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    wait a week and see how they are then take him to the vet if nothing has changed.

NO! Don't wait a week. Get to the vet as soon as possible. UTI's in cats can be deadly. I almost lost one of my cats 2 years ago. She had no symptoms at first---they are really good at hiding illness. Finally I noticed she was losing weight & then she started vomiting. It took about 2 weeks of care to get her better--medicine, force feeding, & subcutaneous fluids at home. We kept her in the bathroom because she was vomiting everything up all the time. It cost about $2,000 in the end, but she did recover. Do not mess around & go to the vet!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are planning to do this, but take your cat to the emergency clinic TODAY. Urinary blockage in cats is life threatening as urinary toxins build up in their blood. Don't mean to scare you, but it is a real emergency.

To whoever recommended to wait a week -- please refrain from giving advice on medical matters you clearly know very little about as it can actually be harmful if people follow that advice.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    It would be great if they could talk, wouldn't it? At least you are taking him or her to the vet today. There isn't much you can do to alleviate it yourself.

Should you have any further issues with your animals urinating outside the litter box, I would suggest not rubbing their nose in the urine or pouring water on the cat. They don't learn from this, and, if they are not using their box, it is usually due to stress or a medical condition. The aforementioned actions will only serve to cause more stress.

I'm not trying to make you feel worse - it's just that if this should happen again, I want you to know.

Agree with the above, please don't do those things to a cat even if you think it is behavioral. Cats do not respond to that sort of discipline.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Where did you learn your animal discipline from? Rub his face in his urine? Pour water on him? That's completely cruel.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Take him to the vet - immediately. He will die if you do not.

I lost one cat that way because I had no idea - he went from fine to dead in 26 hrs.

My last kitty also suffered this and spent several trips to the vet. Once he's back home and healthy - ONLY WET FOOD. If the vet had told me this instead of selling me high-cost dry food, I'd still have my beloved Thor.

They get this because of crystals which block them. The crystals form because they are dehydrated and even if they have fresh water all the time, it's not enough. They need the moisture from their food as well.

I hope you are able to save your baby.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Get him to the vet NOW. Cats go downhill really fast
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ash in catfood? I'm not surprised but how can you avoid this? Thinking about making home made cat food... wow. Animals aren't trash!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Your cat may have a blockage, and that requires immediate medical attention. If he's blocked, he probably won't make it through the night. The sad thing is, cats often won't let you know anything's wrong until it's at the critical point. My cat was probably a few hours away from death before I even realized anything was wrong with him.

ETA: After 10 days in the hospital and a short round of prescription diet for crystals, I switched him to wet food. It's been about four years, and he hasn't had a re-occurrence. Wet food is definitely the answer, and I believe, preferable over prescription dry. And, as someone mentioned above, avoid food with fish as an ingredient.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Get him to the vet NOW. UTI in a male especially can cause death, really quickly. Females aren't so bad, but with males it is VERY SERIOUS!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Disciplining a cat like that is a no-no. The only form of discipline I've used on my cats is a firm(not hard) scruffing and a firm "NO!" when they're acting up or doing something destructive and ONLY when they're doing it. If you discipline a cat a second or even a minute after they've done something, they have no idea why you're disciplining them and doing something like that CAN result in you getting attacked because they think they're defending themselves. I'm not saying this to make you feel worse either. You live and you learn when it comes to cats. No one is an expert.

That said, I would get him to the vet ASAP. If there's blood in his urine and he's having issues going, that's bad. It could be a blockage, or it could be a bad UTI. Either way, a vet is the best way to alleviate his suffering.
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Get him to the vet NOW. UTI in a male especially can cause death, really quickly. Females aren't so bad, but with males it is VERY SERIOUS!

This! You'll need to change his food too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    He'll need to be treated, obviously, and they'll probably tell you to change his food. I have a cat that had the same issues. The food he'll have to eat is freaking expensive.
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Get him to the vet NOW. My cat had this for about a month, I knew something was wrong but I was young and the time and had to have my mum take him but she never bothered. Day I finally convinced her to to take him, he died. He was only 18 months olds. A ragdoll too. Turned out he had kidney stones. The cause was too much protein in his dry food.

EDIT:
    "and now I feel like the worst kitty mamma ever"
    And so you should, it's awful the way you treated that cat, I'm a huge animal lover, I'd never do that to an animal. You wouldn't do that to a child if they wet the bed. Animals feel ashamed of themselves as it is when they have an accident.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Everyone's been quite kind and helpful in this tread, so I guess I'm going to be the only bad guy here - cat pees everywhere for a MONTH and just now you're wondering? Then you continually scold the poor thing for an obvious abnormal behavior? Did you even try to Google what was going on before now?

Then you said "instead of getting him to a doctor" you rubbed his face in it, implying that you finally did start to realize that a vet might be a good idea, but yet you came here to post about it rather than getting your cat looked at?

I hope the best for your cat, I do. But I'm thinking you probably shouldn't have pets.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Get him to the vet asap.

Give some thought to getting rid of big name brand commercial cat foods (full of corn and many biologically inappropriate ingredients) and instead provide natural raw food. If you aren't willing to make meals for your cat (from healthy raw meats, organs, bone) then at least get dehydrated raw that has all biologically appropriate ingredients (ie cats are carnivores, there should not be any grains and preferably not much vegetables and fruit, low in carbs and high in fat and protein). There are many high quality, non grain, cat foods now on the market. But nothing healthy is made by the big name brands such as Purina, Whiskas, Iams, Science Diet etc.

Unfortunately, the vets won't agree that there is anything wrong with industrial cat food but, just like our doctors, they do not know very much about nutrition.

Edit: they will likely recommend a new food... that they stock. Read the ingredients. If it has grain, canola, soy/legumes, and lots of vegetables and fruit ask them to explain why those are the best foods for a carnivore. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's healthier for your cat.