Just started

Options
Kerryk61
Kerryk61 Posts: 15 Member
Hi new to this app I’m struggling a bit finding my way around hopefully will get there

Replies

• Kerryk61
    Kerryk61 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what carbs fat protein I should set up as healthy to lose weight on 1200 cal
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

To be honest, I don’t pay much heed to macros. Calories rule, so I’m more calorie focused. I find that some days I’ll be super high on one macro and the next, low. I figure it all averages out in the long run.

Eating better, more nutritious food than “Old Me” did has been such a vast improvement it kind of balances it all out for me on its own.

You can wear yourself to a frazzle trying to make those macros, when it’s calories that rule.

IMHO, what’s most important is experimenting and learning which one of the three is more satiating for you- more filling, the prevent pangs or small binges later in the day.

For me, the most satiating is protein. I make sure to eat a lot of low calorie meats (chicken, shrimp, certain cuts of pork and beef, chicken sausage, deli meats). And I supplement with yogurt, cottage cheese. I try to get about 150% of the daily suggested protein, because I’m so active. But that’s ME. YMMV.

But lately I’m finding some carbs are now more filling, too, particularly breads or grains. NOT cookies, chips or candy carbs, which create a bottomless pot of hunger for me. Odd how your needs change.

You have to listen to your gut (and I mean that literally) to determine what works for you.

Others here will swear by fats to stave off hunger. Me, I can’t eat a serving of nuts or peanut butter and not be trolling the pantry ten minutes later. It’s too small.

And still others say fiber does it for them.

There’s a gigantic thread here, probably in food and nutrition, that discusses ideas for low calorie bulk eating. I’m blanking in the thread name. I thought it was Volume Eating but I can’t find it in search. It introduced me to the dizzying idea that I could have a mixing bowl sized salad for very little calorie damage, which I do several times a week now. Bacon is God’s gift to giant salads and I keep cooked bacon in the freezer all the time, or I grill a couple extra chicken breasts on Sunday to chop for salads throughout the week.

Totally OT, but once I got past the sugar-stuffing phase, carrots and cherry tomatoes began to taste like the sweetest fruit
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 - I think this is the thread you are seeking.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

I'm another believer in the "big salad with protein" for a midday meal. Coworkers kid me about the huge bowl I use. I just laugh with them and keep eating that salad!