Nutrients

Options
How many carbs protein fat should I be havin to lose weight on 1200 calories a day

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    My questions is, unless you are super short or on a medically required diet, why would you want 1200 in the first place?

That’s a formula for misery and deprivation. Go slower and make it a plan you can stick with beyond weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Kerryk61 wrote: »
    How many carbs protein fat should I be havin to lose weight on 1200 calories a day

Just use the default Goals of 50C 30F 20P

It works fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    My questions is, unless you are super short or on a medically required diet, why would you want 1200 in the first place?

That’s a formula for misery and deprivation. Go slower and make it a plan you can stick with beyond weight loss.

For more information on why most women can lose weight on more than 1200 calories just fine:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

It works fine.

Depending on their stats, that would be low on protein at only 60 grams. Most people would be better off with more protein and either less fat or protein.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It works fine.

Depending on their stats, that would be low on protein at only 60 grams. Most people would be better off with more protein and either less fat or protein.

You mean, less fat or carbs?

That may be so or may not be so.

I lost all my weight when the settings were defaulting at 15% protein. I'm not a weak incapable person and I think for women, 20% is close enough. I lost 80 pounds at the default setting. Well, mostly. I tend to eat higher fat and lower carbs by preference. Absolutely for some, more protein is good. Is it necessary? Probably not.

• psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It works fine.

You mean, less fat or carbs?

That may be so or may not be so.

I lost all my weight when the settings were defaulting at 15% protein. I'm not a weak incapable person and I think for women, 20% is close enough. I lost 80 pounds at the default setting. Well, mostly. I tend to eat higher fat and lower carbs by preference. Absolutely for some, more protein is good. Is it necessary? Probably not.

Based on the current evidence, higher protein is beneficial during weight loss. Increase sustainment of muscle mass, improved metabolism, etc... Calorie for calorie, high protein diets produce better results.

Necessary? No. Beneficial for a variety of reason? Yes.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Which...is what I said?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Which...is what I said?

You basically stated just follow a generic macro split without asking any questions which is generally a poor approach. It's pretty much the equivalent of me saying, just go keto because it worked for me.

OP, what are your actual goals?