special occasions

Options
rbcloftus
rbcloftus Posts: 12
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'd like to say I'm new to the weightloss thing but I'm not really - I've just never been very good at it (Very little will power and I like all the "naughty" things) but I'm focussing now because I've got a holiday to Mexico planned for the September '14 so I want to looking banging in a bikini and not worry about feeling like an elephant!

But my concern is special occasions, birthdays, office drinks, leaving do's, you know all the things that involve too much alchohol and not enough salad! the first one i have to worry about is on the 26th September - my boyfriend's mum's birthday, it's a month away so should I use this as a goal? be really good until then and then have a treat? we're going to her favourite chinese restraunt so i can't even get away with ordering a salad... do i eat before but just go anyway? or reward myself for a really healthy month?

HELP!

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    First of all, you need to know that Birthday Cake never has any calories. Truth!!!! You can't convince me otherwise.

But really, just like everything else, moderation is key. Those occasions are going to come up. And you kind of have to participate. But you don't have to gorge yourself. Moderation. Take a 1/2 piece of birthday cake, walk to the other side of the room, eat your piece very slowly. Drinks out with coworkers...you aren't obligated to have alcohol. You can have water. Or alternate alcoholic beverages with a glasses of water. It takes some thought, but it's doable. It's just about making new habits. But I think if you 100% say 'no' to all of those things, you're going to end up feeling deprived of both the food and the social interactions. And that's when bad reactions happen.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    First you have to throw away the mindset that any food is "naughty". All food contains calories and it can all be fit into your eating plan. I'd suggest you follow the 80/20 rule. Eat a healthy, balanced diet that fits your calorie and micronutriant goal 80% of the time and 20% eat whatever you want, including birthday cake or a glass of wine.

Unless you want to become a hermit and avoid every social situation for the rest of your life, you're going to have to learn how to deal with them and enjoy them. That means not getting stressed out over it and not feeling any guilt because you ate something "naughty".

Plan ahead. Save some calories and carbs for those special treats. Enjoy yourself and move on.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think your approach is what makes you NUTTY. You are obsessing about things that are not even coming at you yet. What ever happened to "once day at a time"?

I know that you want to look HAWT for your Mexico trip. That should motivate you to stay on track. You're just going to gird up your spirit and say "no, thank you".....

OR.... you can live a more balanced lifestyle that allows cake and drinks and special occasions in your life... and PS.... you will ALWAYS be bathing suit ready and will not need to go into hiding for weeks at a time. Sometimes you will accept, other times you will pass and others you will adjust.

It takes time, practice that is not perfect and patience; but all things are possible. Stop obsessing and start living.

Cheers!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Stop stressing over good and bad foods. Eat in moderation, and as long as it fits in your marcos enjoy it.
    This is not a diet! It is a lifestyle change. It's about learning how to eat all those foods you love and still lose weight.
    You can do this! It's about calories out being greater than calories in, and moving your body a lot!! (-: Things that we didn't pay attention to before. (-;

Yes you can schedule a "treat" day. There is nothing wrong with that. It is about you, and your weight loss. You will start noticing what works for you and what doesn't. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.