Low sugar????

Options
So a bit about me....I'm 33, 81 kgs, 5'3". I have read a lot of articles on Google about people who have successfully lost 20, 30, 40 kgs in less than a year during this lockdown period and I have barely lost a couple of kgs since lockdown. The one thing in common to all these people is they eat scarily little for eg I read about a woman who just drank milk for dinner and it's soup for some and black coffee before workout. If I try something like this I'll go in a coma😭 so how are these people eating so little and drinking milk for dinner and not passing out? Please help!! Tia.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Don't believe the stuff you read online. It's either fake or people are harming themselves. Weight loss that stays off is NEVER fast, and always unhealthy. You noticed what happens if you go crazy: you can't keep it up. Maybe you even binge. Now imagine you just lose at a slow rate but don't binge. This might be faster in the end and you learn sustainable eating habits along the way. People who do crazy things learn nothing about the right amount of food.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @yirara oh all these stories I read in times of india so no shady stuff and yes it's difficult to subsist on milk and soup for dinner. What's frustrating is that I eat adequate amount of protein(vegetarian only as I went off meat in January 2020 next day after my birthday). Even my body is not changing I do hectic workouts- did a lot of HIIT at home during lockdown and started hitting the gym in Jan for strength training. I'm depressed.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Relax, really try to relax. Magazines in Europe are also full of whoo because it sells. Weight loss only needs a moderate calorie deficit and patience. A lot of patience. Not just do something for 2-3 weeks but keep it up. Find ways to make it sustainable. Eat a bit less. Using a food scale totally helps. Really, it doesn't matter what you eat. You can drink so much milk that you gain weight. You can drink so little that you'll lose. It doesn't matter what you eat: too much and you gain, too little and you lose. It really is THAT simple.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    and how long do you think they will keep this weight off, once they begin to, you know, eat food again? Not to mention what kind of damage are they doing to their body (organ function) by doing this? Or for vanity's sake - hair loss and brittle nails?

Losing weight is all about being in a calorie deficit. And that does not have to be severe. Eat a well balanced diet. That includes treats. Learn how to weigh and log your food CORRECTLY.

It takes TIME to lose weight. And a LOT of patience. Would you rather lose it fast, just to regain it all (plus more?). Or lose slowly, and learn good eating and portion management skills, something that is sustainable for a lifetime, and KEEP IT OFF?
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! Of course I don't plan to eat like them. I've been here briefly before 2015-16 became obsessive with calorie counting so I quit and I had lost only 8 kgs so didn't feel the need to go on but I was here long enough to learn that what they're doing is crash dieting.
    I just want to adopt the pattern of eating less because I think I am eating too much.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There's nothing new about ultra low calorie diets. Obviously you see the problem: the weight will come off, but it's not sustainable, and the weight will come back on (maybe with friends!). There's plenty of health issues that can happen with drastic dieting like that.

MyFitnessPal is all about eating a sensible amount of calories that promotes weight loss. In fact, the slower you do so (.5 pound a week) actually the more likely you'll succeed.

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I lost ~35lbs from January of last year to ~November....and I ate ~1400 cals/day (plus eating back 50-100% of my cardio calories).

I know that if ppl put into MFP that they want to lose 2lbs per week it will automatically (in many cases) give them a 1200 calorie per day limit...which I think is crazy.

I am now maintaining at around 16-1700 cals/day and 2000+ on days I run.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I lost ~35lbs from January of last year to ~November....and I ate ~1400 cals/day (plus eating back 50-100% of my cardio calories). I know that if ppl put into MFP that they want to lose 2lbs per week it will automatically (in many cases) give them a 1200 calorie per day limit...which I think is crazy.

But what's "crazy", or more correctly an incorrect action?

MFP discouraging VLCD's by refusing to offer eating goals below 1200, or users who (with or without full comprehension) target excessive loss rates given their current weight/height/age and activity levels?
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I lost ~35lbs from January of last year to ~November....and I ate ~1400 cals/day (plus eating back 50-100% of my cardio calories). I know that if ppl put into MFP that they want to lose 2lbs per week it will automatically (in many cases) give them a 1200 calorie per day limit...which I think is crazy.

But what's "crazy", or more correctly an incorrect action?

MFP discouraging VLCD's by refusing to offer eating goals below 1200, or users who (with or without full comprehension) target excessive loss rates given their current weight/height/age and activity levels?

I think she's saying the "crazy" part is trying to diet on 1200 calories. My wife has tried that and I guess it's possible for some people, but it really isn't a lot of food and is kinda crazy to build a weight loss plan around that. I know MFP has 1200 as the minimum for health safety reasons, but in my mind most people would be better off looking at 1400 or thereabouts as the minimum, for diet sustainability reasons. But of course, everyone differs. It's just my take. I eat 1850 and get very grouchy if it drops below 1700.