Suggestions for healthy eating cook books

Options
Hello friends! I’m serious about shedding the last 15lbs to reach my goal weight. I have been on the lookout for healthy cooking books that work for not just me, but my whole family (hubs and 2 kids (6 and 1)). I’ve found 1 winner so far: “Gordon Ramsay’s Healthy, Lean & Fit”. I checked it out at the library first to see if it was a good fit for us, and I’ve made so many recipes from it in just one week as the recipes call for ingredients I almost always have on hand! They’re easy to prepare and very tasty! That being said, I would love to check out other cool books along the same lines. What do you use or highly recommend? I already use Pinterest for recipes almost exclusively, but it’s full of ads and some recipes claiming to be healthy are actually loaded with carbs and calories sabotaging my weight loss goals! Thanks for your time and suggestions for healthy cook books.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I use Google to find recipes. Pinterest was cool years ago, but I loathe it now. I’ve the same complaint as you.

I put in an ingredient and see what comes up. I tweak it to fit my needs. More vegetables and always extra garlic. Lol

I do have a ton of cookbooks at home but I find it easier with Google.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Check out pinch of nom. They have some lovely recipes.

https://pinchofnom.com/
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    It's an oldie but goodie, but I still use Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites. It's Pescatarian, but so many good ideas and delicious recipes.
  • anna_nintey3
    anna_nintey3 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Donna Hay... Fresh & Light
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    This is also an oldie, but I find the Taste of Home Healthy Cooking cookbook to have a good variety of family-friendly meals (and husband too--my kids eat more vegetables than him!). I believe it's relatively cheap on Amazon.

I don't count carbs so can't comment on that and because it's older may not have "healthier" ingredients like white whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose, but I still like it.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Like previously mentioned, I use Google. In addition, I use the All Recipes website as well as several vegan websites. Although I have a few cookbooks, I rarely use them. The biggest benefit of finding a recipe online is I get to read the comments, which comes in handy for knowing how a recipe may need to be tweaked. Also, I have learned how to modify most recipes to accommodate my dietary needs.

Wishing you all the best with the final 15!
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to really like this one and I think there was a follow-up addition also? I am vegan now so most of the recipes don't work for me but I used to make the crispy baked chicken and the coleslaw a lot. 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Yourself-Thin-Skinny-Minutes-ebook/dp/B0029XF9OS
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Budget Bytes. It's not "healthy on purpose," but very flavorful, lots of veggies, and inexpensive. Many of her recipes are in our rotation (family of seven, none very picky) and they fit really well in my eating plan.

http://www.budgetbytes.com
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My tablet is my cookbook. Usually Allrecipes, Food52, and Budget Bytes. And the blog on here of course. I made the farro/ sausage/ tomato/ kale recipe on here the other day and really liked it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I quite like the hairy bikers diet books. But they need some vetting, and often extra calories. Sometimes less.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I like the South Beach books. I don't follow the diet plan itself, but some of the recipes are great and have fairly manageable calorie counts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light & Skinny Taste are my go tos.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Second for SkinnyTaste!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    The Oh She Glows cookbooks are excellent. They’re vegan, but they have good ideas.

Otherwise, I use AllRecipes and Google and put to use all the lovely substitutions and creative ideas I’ve learned here if the recipes look too calorie laden.
  • H4WKWIND
    H4WKWIND Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I just ordered - The Vegan Athlete: A Complete Guide to a Healthy, Plant-Based, Active Lifestyle Paperback –by Karina Inkster (Author), Robert Cheeke.

Recently read - Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness: The Complete Guide to Building Your Body on a Plant-Based Diet by Robert Cheeke

That was Roberts first book and have his 2 other books Shred It!: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Burning Fat and Building Muscle on a Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet and Plant-Based Muscle: Our Roadmap to Peak Performance on a Plant-Based Diet.

I met Robert 2017 at a VegFest talk then a group calisthenics workout and vegan restaurant talk, great guy, great motivator.

• TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I second 'pinch of nom', my favourite is the blue book - the 2019 one.
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    3rd for skinnytaste
  • MrsR99
    MrsR99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really love Ellie Krieger’s cookbooks. She’s a chef and registered dietitian. I have four of her cookbooks and have made several recipes from each. They’ve all been super flavorful and delicious! She includes detailed nutritional information for each recipe which makes it easy to choose recipes that fit my goals.

My current favorite is her newest book, Whole in One. It has a curried carrot lentil soup recipe that is phenomenal.