Exercise planner/exercise plan for weight loss

Options
Hi,
I'm looking for some help with finding a exercise plan I can follow for losing weight. I would love to find a website or app that where I can add in the exercise equipment in and get a plan for each week or day. But any recommendations for exercise plans would be brilliant. I'm over 350 lb and I want something to give me a good idea of where to start. ideally using my dumbbells and treadmill or my Fitbit.

Thank you,

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the nike app is pretty good. My good friend had to stop going to crossfit when lockdowns hit us, and downloaded the app for at home workouts. He describes it as much the way you were hoping for...
    input the equipment you have, set goals, personal information etc and it personalizes workouts with training videos etc. He says he will not return to crossfit because he has seen more improvements with the app and it saves him a ton of money!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness, not weight loss. It helps, sure, but you can't out-exercise a bad diet. Weight loss happens when your body burns more calories than it receives in the form of food, so whether that deficit comes from not eating 500 calories' worth of food in a given day or burning an extra 500 calories via exercising, the outcome is the same. It's just much easier to eat less than it is to burn that much more.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I lost 15lbs in 6 months through exercise alone, no dieting, (but absolutely NO eating back the calories) so it can happen.

My advice is - do something that keeps you accountable. I'd rather pay more and book into a live bootcamp or intense yoga flow than just do free youtube videos because it's too easy to get out of the habit of them if no one is expecting you to turn up.

Do it often. No change comes from one fitness class a week. I find four intensive classes a week are good, plus an hour's walking on days off, and at least a half hour walk on exercise days too. I top these up sometimes with 5-10 minute free online kettlebell or yoga or bodyweight HIIT mini-workouts.

Do what you love. I love bootcamp - lifting weights and boxing and bodyweight training. I'd hate to do spin classes/Peleton/cycling. The only time I'd recommend doing exercise you hate is if you hate all forms of exercise and need to try them all out to discover the one you are likely to stick at.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. You have a treadmill and a Fitbit. What's a comfortable distance or time for you to walk now?

Weight loss is simple, but not easy. It's just math (calories). Exercise helps by burning more calories. You can use those to speed up your weight loss, or you can use it to eat more while you lose weight.

For context: you're going to burn around 120 calories per mile you walk. You're going to get somewhere around 1,200 to ? calories a day to eat depending what you put for your settings. So it's helpful for sure and it adds up over time, but it's not going to make a night and day difference.

Don't do high intensity exercise. If you want to do this to help in your weight loss journey, the way you're going to burn the most calories is by spending more time. Things that exhaust you and make you need rest are counterproductive. Since spending time is what burns the most calories, you're going to do best if you can find exercise you like. Make it competitive with Fitbit challenges, find something good to watch from the treadmill, go to a park or nature preserve. Try swimming if it's an option. Cycling too.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that your diet is the make-or-break factor of your success here. However, exercise is a great addition that has multiple benefits, and at least for me getting into a good exercise rhythm increases motivation to sticking to my calorie goal through following ways:
    1) I get to eat more, which makes sticking to my goals easier
    2) Exercise makes me feel like I’m actively doing something to promote my own goal, which gives me a boost of motivation to keep doing the rest of it
    3) Exercise gives me a boost of feel-good endorphins, which make me feel better

Since it sounds like you have a good motivation to get moving, I’d advise you to think about what your exercise goals truly are. Do you want to become an active person in the future and improve your overall fitness? Maybe have a specific sport in mind, like the dream of becoming a marathon runner one day? Do you want to just burn as many calories as possible, so you can lose weight faster or with less diet-related efforts?

Then, consider what you truly enjoy doing. You say treadmill and dumbbells, but I’m curious to know if that’s something you’d truly enjoy or that’s what you want to use because you already have those. It can really be anything where you move your own body: walking, dancing, gardening, rock climbing, hiking, swimming, rowing, bowling, a group fitness class, running, whatever. Just think about what you’d actually look forward to doing and what feels physically good - nothing should hurt, except maybe the last rep of an intense weightlifting set. If anything gives you joint paint, avoid it.

Then, come up with a plan that combines those two and align your exercise goals if you realize achieving them would be something you hate. For example, if you hate running or swimming, doing a triathlon one day is maybe not the dream for you. If you just want to burn calories, choose something that makes you move your body a lot, likely cardio-based activities like walking, running, biking or swimming. Still, that could also be anything, since the most calorie-burning exercise is the one you actually do consistently. If you want to improve your overall fitness, I’d personally make sure I include all three ”parts” of fitness: stamina, strength and mobility and work on improving all three over time.

If you’re an absolute beginner, you don’t really need an ”exercise plan” to use your Fitbit or your treadmill. Walk on your treadmill (or outside) at a pace that feels comfortable, as long as it feels comfortable, and start increasing pace and/or time overtime. Your Fitbit is not exercise equipment, it’s a monitor that gives you information about your activity: step count, duration, estimated calorie burn etc.

Good luck!