Counting Macros and Nutrition Education

Options
Hey there!
So I am new to wanting to learn more about nutrition and how food interacts with the body, as well as wanting to be able to determine the correct macros for me and having a better understanding of them.
I am hoping that by starting his discussion we can help each other learn and grow together! I am open to suggestions on books or tools that may be helpful. I am not looking to go vegan, as that is not sustainable for me. A lot of the nutrition books and tools I am finding are suggesting a plant based lifestyle so I am looking for I guess it kind of out of the norm.
So if your looking to learn introduce yourself and we can learn together! Or if you have suggestions do the same! I can't wait to see all the knowledge that is out there!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Nutrition geekery can be fun, so I'll play.

I'm not someone who thinks there's some problem with including some lower nutrient foods or ultra processed foods in the diet, so don't assume too much from the title, but I think this piece gives a good run-down of what is generally understood and accepted about nutrition: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

Other than that, I think nutrition is pretty simple, and pretty similar to what is often defined as the healthy eating pattern (of which the Med diet is one example). The stuff people argue about the most or stress about the most tends to be (for most of us) pretty optional or personal or just not all that important if you get the big items right.

So my personal views (which I think are based in what's known):

(1) Eat appropriate cals for your weight and goals -- this is first because of all the benefits of being a healthy weight

(2) Eat lots of vegetables and some fruit
    (3) Eat enough protein and emphasize seafood and non meat sources, rather that focusing primarily on other meat (but I think a healthy diet can certainly include meat)
    (4) Eat sufficient fiber (if one eats beans/lentils and lots of veg and some fruit, this should be easy and not necessary to think about separately)
    (5) Eat a decent amount of essential fats and healthy fats generally (fatty fish is helpful here, for the harder to get omega-3s, and I supplement those when eating plant-based for any significant period of time), other great sources are nuts and seeds, olives and olive oil, and avocado and avocado oil

(6) More generally, I think we don't know everything beneficial about generally beneficial foods, so I support eating things in wholer forms when possible, but am not obsessive about this -- whole grains vs refined can have more fiber and be more filling, but if your diet is otherwise healthy and you don't eat a ton of grains anyway, this would be minor. This is also why I think it's important to eat veg and fruits and other sources of vitamins and minerals vs relying on supplements, and why I prefer to get fiber from whole foods vs supplements or protein bars or whatever.

(7) There seems to be some benefit to foods that are fermented and generally which contain healthy bacteria, like yogurt, sauerkraut, some vinegars, etc. I love many of these foods anyway, so include them in my diet.

(8) More controversially, I do limit sat fat some (although I don't have to really think about it when I'm eating consistently with (3) anyway. Some will say that's not important or totally wrong, but I think the evidence still goes more the other way.

(9) Sodium is another controversial one, but IMO if I cook mostly from whole foods, don't add crazy amounts of salt (I do use salt when cooking), get plenty of potassium in my diet, and have good blood pressure, no reason to think about it.

I don't much care about carbs vs fat, other than what makes me personally feel more sated and generally satisfied.

Supplements: D is one I supplement when not eating lots of fish that contain it, and some others if eating plant-based for a period of time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    chelsis12 wrote: »
    Hey there!
    So I am new to wanting to learn more about nutrition and how food interacts with the body, as well as wanting to be able to determine the correct macros for me and having a better understanding of them.
    I am hoping that by starting his discussion we can help each other learn and grow together! I am open to suggestions on books or tools that may be helpful. I am not looking to go vegan, as that is not sustainable for me. A lot of the nutrition books and tools I am finding are suggesting a plant based lifestyle so I am looking for I guess it kind of out of the norm.
    So if your looking to learn introduce yourself and we can learn together! Or if you have suggestions do the same! I can't wait to see all the knowledge that is out there!

Is your decision to go plant based because you read some books? Honestly, a person can be very healthy with meat and seafood included. One of the most recent meta analyses put a diet highest in lean animal proteins and veggies to be one of the healthiest ways of eating. This was even over a plant based diet. Keep in mind that animal sources contain complete proteins and are more bioavailable. Meats are also rich in vitamins and minerals.

There is no perfect macro. The biggest key is getting adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg) amd sufficient fiber (20g+). Fats and proteins are dependent on your personal preference and goals.

And the biggest improvements would come from weight loss and exercise (cardio and resistance training).

In general, adding seafood 2-4x a week would be great and things like olive oil, seeds, nuts, avocado and fruits/veggies are all great things to have as part of a healthy diet.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I'm not someone who thinks there's some problem with including some lower nutrient foods or ultra processed foods in the diet, so don't assume too much from the title, but I think this piece gives a good run-down of what is generally understood and accepted about nutrition: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

Other than that, I think nutrition is pretty simple, and pretty similar to what is often defined as the healthy eating pattern (of which the Med diet is one example). The stuff people argue about the most or stress about the most tends to be (for most of us) pretty optional or personal or just not all that important if you get the big items right.

(1) Eat appropriate cals for your weight and goals -- this is first because of all the benefits of being a healthy weight

(3) Eat enough protein and emphasize seafood and non meat sources, rather that focusing primarily on other meat (but I think a healthy diet can certainly include meat)
    (4) Eat sufficient fiber (if one eats beans/lentils and lots of veg and some fruit, this should be easy and not necessary to think about separately)
    (5) Eat a decent amount of essential fats and healthy fats generally (fatty fish is helpful here, for the harder to get omega-3s, and I supplement those when eating plant-based for any significant period of time), other great sources are nuts and seeds, olives and olive oil, and avocado and avocado oil

(6) More generally, I think we don't know everything beneficial about generally beneficial foods, so I support eating things in wholer forms when possible, but am not obsessive about this -- whole grains vs refined can have more fiber and be more filling, but if your diet is otherwise healthy and you don't eat a ton of grains anyway, this would be minor. This is also why I think it's important to eat veg and fruits and other sources of vitamins and minerals vs relying on supplements, and why I prefer to get fiber from whole foods vs supplements or protein bars or whatever.

(7) There seems to be some benefit to foods that are fermented and generally which contain healthy bacteria, like yogurt, sauerkraut, some vinegars, etc. I love many of these foods anyway, so include them in my diet.

(8) More controversially, I do limit sat fat some (although I don't have to really think about it when I'm eating consistently with (3) anyway. Some will say that's not important or totally wrong, but I think the evidence still goes more the other way.

(9) Sodium is another controversial one, but IMO if I cook mostly from whole foods, don't add crazy amounts of salt (I do use salt when cooking), get plenty of potassium in my diet, and have good blood pressure, no reason to think about it.

I don't much care about carbs vs fat, other than what makes me personally feel more sated and generally satisfied.

Supplements: D is one I supplement when not eating lots of fish that contain it, and some others if eating plant-based for a period of time.

@lemurcat2
    I really love the term “nutrition geekery” 🤗🙌🏻

There may have to be a thread with that title..
  • chelsis12
    chelsis12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Thank you for this information! I will have to check out that link you included. I am just getting into this nutrition geekery as you said :-), love that btw!
  • chelsis12
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hey there!

Is your decision to go plant based because you read some books? Honestly, a person can be very healthy with meat and seafood included. One of the most recent meta analyses put a diet highest in lean animal proteins and veggies to be one of the healthiest ways of eating. This was even over a plant based diet. Keep in mind that animal sources contain complete proteins and are more bioavailable. Meats are also rich in vitamins and minerals.

There is no perfect macro. The biggest key is getting adequate protein (1.5-2.2g/kg) amd sufficient fiber (20g+). Fats and proteins are dependent on your personal preference and goals.

And the biggest improvements would come from weight loss and exercise (cardio and resistance training).

In general, adding seafood 2-4x a week would be great and things like olive oil, seeds, nuts, avocado and fruits/veggies are all great things to have as part of a healthy diet.

Haha no, I have no intentions of going plant based. Just it appears that most nutrition books that I am coming across are suggesting that. I do need to get better about eating seafood, as I rarely ever eat any. But I live in Northern Michigan so Venison is a staple and is a leaner red meat.

As far as the Macros go I understand there is no perfect macro, I just don't understand how to start counting them or have any idea how ones for me would even begin to look so I have just started into reading in on those.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Haha no, I have no intentions of going plant based. Just it appears that most nutrition books that I am coming across are suggesting that. I do need to get better about eating seafood, as I rarely ever eat any. But I live in Northern Michigan so Venison is a staple and is a leaner red meat.

As far as the Macros go I understand there is no perfect macro, I just don't understand how to start counting them or have any idea how ones for me would even begin to look so I have just started into reading in on those.

I don't think that most mainstream nutrition books DO recommend that (although faddish ones may). The mainstream advice is that most people should be eating more fruits and vegetables, but the assumption is that they'll also be eating meat, eggs, and dairy.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I used to do plant based diets, mostly just because I wanted to. But there is tremendous benefit to eating that way. However the thing about complete proteins no longer applies. Scientist have found that you can easily get complete proteins from plants and it doesn't all have to be in the same meal. What you can't get and were most people make mistakes with plant based diets is B12. A supplement is required. Which then, IMO, if you have to supplement any part of a diet it isn't as good as a diet that you get all your DRI. Which is why I think Keto is crap (but a whole other story).

I would strongly recommend looking into the Mediterranean Diet, and/or DASH and/or MIND diet. These aren't weight loss diets, but can be, they are just extremely healthy ways of eating.

Bonus: you can get these books at the library.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I don't want to add more "work" on for you, but one thing to consider is that in addition to nutrition, many people who discuss these sorts of things professionally are also opining about the morals and ethics of food consumption - from animal cruelty to economics and exploitative labor, to the use of fossil fuels for transportation and environmental impact, etc. etc. I don't think that's a bad thing - I have strong opinions about these things myself - but just to be aware that these discussions about health and nutrition aren't usually taking place in a vacuum, and opinions about these other issues can play a part in what advice gets emphasized or recommended. That doesn't make it bad or wrong advice, but just something to consider.

That said, I also caution against letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. I find this stuff interesting too, but I do have to remind myself sometimes that absent natural disasters, famines, politics (which are big deals, of course), many cultures in many different climates have figured out a basically healthy diet using what's locally available. (I privilege eating locally grown and raised food, so it makes sense I would bring that up. ;) ) I think there's a lot of ways to "get it right," or at least to get close. I think lemurcat2's advice is pretty good and there's no need to reinvent the wheel to start. Take a look at what you're doing now - see how it stacks up against the general recommendations per MFP (which aren't bad even if you decide to tweak later.) You don't have to have it figured out before you start. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thoin wrote: »
    Hey there!

I used to do plant based diets, mostly just because I wanted to. But there is tremendous benefit to eating that way. However the thing about complete proteins no longer applies. Scientist have found that you can easily get complete proteins from plants and it doesn't all have to be in the same meal. What you can't get and were most people make mistakes with plant based diets is B12. A supplement is required. Which then, IMO, if you have to supplement any part of a diet it isn't as good as a diet that you get all your DRI. Which is why I think Keto is crap (but a whole other story).

I would strongly recommend looking into the Mediterranean Diet, and/or DASH and/or MIND diet. These aren't weight loss diets, but can be, they are just extremely healthy ways of eating.

If you're getting your B12 from the eggs and meat of farmed animals, it's in those products because the feed of those animals is supplemented with it. I honestly don't see what the difference is if an individual decides to just take the supplement directly. It's six of one, half dozen of another.

FYI, it is true that the protein from animal products does have a higher bioavailability. I'd argue that for the average eater this isn't going to be a relevant difference, but there are circumstances where it could be worth considering.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I would suggest cutting down all red meat to 2 times a week or less and then making it lean red meat. If you want you can easily get fish in a can (also you live near the great lakes so that should help a lot). It works really well and is a good snack or protein for dinner. They recommend fish at least once a week. I assume because mercury or something. But the biggest thing is to fill the plate up with a variety of vegetables. I lost 10lbs doing nothing other then making 2/3 of my dinner plate nothing but vegetables. I didn't restrict starchy vegetables or anything like that.
    Then for desert I ate fruit. As with all things diet related that I start, I for no apparent reason just stopped doing it.

For macros, just look at what MFP sets you and see how that affects your body. Then modify as needed. I find the default setting to be fine. I don't count macros but other people do and are successful. It's just another way of counting calories that is easier for some people.
  • chelsis12
    Options
    Hey there!

I would suggest cutting down all red meat to 2 times a week or less and then making it lean red meat. If you want you can easily get fish in a can (also you live near the great lakes so that should help a lot). It works really well and is a good snack or protein for dinner. They recommend fish at least once a week. I assume because mercury or something. But the biggest thing is to fill the plate up with a variety of vegetables. I lost 10lbs doing nothing other then making 2/3 of my dinner plate nothing but vegetables. I didn't restrict starchy vegetables or anything like that.
    Then for desert I ate fruit. As with all things diet related that I start, I for no apparent reason just stopped doing it.

For macros, just look at what MFP sets you and see how that affects your body. Then modify as needed. I find the default setting to be fine. I don't count macros but other people do and are successful. It's just another way of counting calories that is easier for some people.

Thank you! Yeah, I started buying those flavored tuna and salmon packets and have started getting a little more fish in my diet but I want to start actually cooking fish and being able to have it for dinner and such. But it scares me to cook for some reason, which I know is silly. Lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

Thank you! Yeah, I started buying those flavored tuna and salmon packets and have started getting a little more fish in my diet but I want to start actually cooking fish and being able to have it for dinner and such. But it scares me to cook for some reason, which I know is silly. Lol

I grew up eating a lot of fish, but was nervous about cooking it too, back when I first started. I found Mark Bittman's cookbook entitled Fish really helpful (it's likely available used or at a library). Not only was it great for cooking, but it gave a lot of information on different preparations for different types of fish and what different fish tasted like. These days you can just look up recipes on the internet or YouTube for ideas, but I still think a book like that can be really helpful.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I’ve always been interested in nutrition and the quote by Hippocrates “Let food be thy medicine..”

I try to get most of my vitamins and minerals from food- but I supplement as well. ie omega 3s. I’ll have to check out that book above about fish.

..I wish MFP counted more vitamins and minerals automatically. Til then I guess!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about eliminating animal protein. What are the odds that humans would achieve best health by eliminating food sourced that most human cultures have consumed (in greater or lesser amounts) through centuries and millennia of natural selection? I'm betting those odds are low.

For sure, there's good evidence that most USA-ians get way less than the most beneficial amounts of varied, colorful veggies and fruits. Increasing those is a good plan, IMO.

Before you decide I'm a shill for Big Meat: Nope. I've been vegetarian for over 46 years. There are plenty of reasons to be vegetarian or fully plant-based. Good nutrition is achievable eating only plants, it's just a teensy bit more work, because a few nutrients require a bit more attention, and perhaps supplementation.

Further, I agree that adequate (and adequately bioavailable) protein is achievable on a fully plant-based diet. But it does require *some* attention, despite what some of the more extreme advocacy sites/sources may claim. It's absolutely true that bodies are pretty clever, so we don't need to carefully combine protein sources to balance essential amino acids (EAAs) in each and every meal, as was believed when I first became vegetarian in the 1970s.

Nonetheless, they're called "essential amino acids" because our bodies can't manufacture them out of something else, we have to eat them, and - over time - eat them in some kind of sensible proportions. There are potential plant-based diets that might have enough grams of protein, but if they're woefully short in one or more EAAs overall, the body will come up short. Avoiding that isn't tough, but one has to pay a tiny bit of extra attention. Animal sources are easier, and not inherently less healthful.

Generally, I think Lemurcat's post is A #1 advice. It's pretty much the same way I think about it, but in my case with a vegetarian twist.

If you're not sure where to start, set up your MFP profile, start logging your food (just however you're eating now), and see how it stacks up against MFP's default macros. They're not a terrible starting place for most people, and will give you a chance to practice using diary review to figure out which foods are costing you lots of calories for not much nutritional benefit. Then, you reduce or eliminate those, replacing them with other foods you enjoy that better support your goals. Rinse and repeat, and you work your way toward better nutrition, eating foods you enjoy.

It can be more manageable to make this a step by step thing. If weight management is very important to you, calories are the place to start: Figure out how to stay full and happy on sensible calories. Next, it makes sense to me to try to come close to protein and fat goals as a minimum. (Close is good enough, especially when over a little on one thing one day, under on the next, so it kind of averages out over time.) Next, start aiming for a certain level of veggie/fruit servings.. (Most nutritional bodies recommend at least 5 servings, with servings of most things being around half a cup or 80g. Some sources say 10 or more is even better.) The veggies/fruits will probably go
    a long way toward taking care of fiber and micronutrient needs, but that would be the next area to dig into, IMO. MFP's numbers for micronutrients (in the food database) are incomplete (because food labels are incomplete). For me, it works to spot-check a typical day or two against a better source, like the USDA nutrient database.

While you're working toward the default macros and such, you can be learning more about nutrition in parallel, and tweak your goals as you decide that some other goals would suit you better. If you're not starting from a point of diagnosed nutritional deficiency, or a truly bizarrely appalling diet, you can do all of this gradually. It needn't be perfect instantly, and it's easier to evolve IMO than revolutionize.

For me, in maintenance, at 5'5", 125ish pounds, active, age 65, my nutritional goals are minimum 100g protein (considering EAA completeness over time because vegetarian), 50g fats (prioritizing mono/polyunsaturated sources because many people undereat those compared to sat fats; ditto for O-3s and O-6s (I also supplement O-3)), 25g fiber, 5 minimum and preferably 10+ 80g veggie/fruit servings daily, and regular consumption of probiotic foods (yogurt, raw sauerkraut or kim chi, miso, that sort of thing). Obviously, as someone who was obese until around 6 short years ago, I need to do that on appropriate calories. After a while, it's nearly automatic, because the food habits are in place.

Just my opinions, obviously. Best wishes!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey there!

Yes, you can vary sources of proteins to get complete proteins. It doesn't take away from the fact that the best sources of protein, iron and b12 will be meat, eggs, dairy and fish. But that is a semantic argument.

Also, I don't think you fully understand the ketogenic diet. I am on it and I don't have to supplement. But just like a plant based diet, you have to pay more attention to sodium. Also, my diet consist of meats, dary, low gi berries, avocado, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds and low GI veggies.

I do agree a good place to start is a Mediterranean Diet. Its a very healthy diet.