The scale

Options
nene0225
nene0225 Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2021 in Getting Started
Morning all! I started what feels like the 10th time around and just feel like this time is going to be different! I'm down almost 18lbs but I feel like the scale CAN'T be right!? Anyone feel like this? I'm trying very hard not to doubt my successes!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It may be correct, it may not be. The biggest mistake people make when it comes to weighing is comparing weights from multiple sources. Always use data from the same scale, others may not be calibrated the same.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I even made my husband take the batteries out of the scale and test them because I was sure I couldn't possibly be losing as fast as the scale was saying I was. Make sure you weigh under the same conditions as much as possible - same time of day, wearing the same thing (if anything at all), scale in the same place on the floor.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    in addition to weighing, taking monthly measurements can also be a good visual of how you are progressing. And often, you will have a change in measurements while you have no change in weight.

in march, my scale only moved down a total of a pound for the month, and my measurement changes were incremental, but I went down a shirt size (which makes no sense to me, but its 2 shirts in two different brands).

so... there are other ways to measure success and progress that do not include numbers on a scale or measuring tape.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I keep telling people/thinking I weigh 170-something.

I weigh 153. My brain just will not catch up.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    My brains are totally strange: I see myself as normal. I saw myself as normal when I was overweight. Friends think I'm super thin even though I'm at a mid-range BMI. *shrugs*
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Don’t forget to take progress pics. I didn’t do it for the first six months and now I regret it.

It would also have been so much easier to see progress. (Well, duh!). But seriously, for some reason it’s easier to see in a photo than in the mirror.
  • nene0225
    nene0225 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Yes, I do weigh my self every day, under the same conditions. Same time and place. I even make sure to place the scale on the same exact spot on the floor! I know that I should be proud of my progress and success, but I guess I just have to get used to it! Hope everyone is having a great week!