Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How do you do it on 1200 calories?

MsOpusMsOpus Member, Premium Posts: 97 Member Member, Premium Posts: 97 Member
MFP has me on 1200 calories. Even changing my goals doesn't increase them. I have at least 50 lbs to lose. I gained 30 in the last 6 months
I mostly run for a workout because with gyms closed I struggle to stay motivated to do anything else
When I was 20 away from my goal, MFP dropped me to 1200 calories. I struggle to stay satiated no matter what/when I eat. After a run I'm famished and could put a huge dint in a buffet.
I am finding it hard to lose the weight I gained over the winter. Any thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,227 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,227 Member
    Are you eating your exercise calories? When you say "change your goals," you mean you told MFP you wanted to lose .5 a week?

Even if losing .5 a week puts you at 1,200 a day, you should also get some additional calories from exercise.
  • penguinmama87penguinmama87 Member, Premium Posts: 263 Member Member, Premium Posts: 263 Member
    Hmm, a few thoughts:

Do you eat back any of those calories from running or any other exercise/movement throughout the day?

Are you weighing your food to count calories? I remember being unpleasantly surprised by how calorically dense some foods were, but I was also pleasantly surprised by others because I assumed I was eating more than I actually was!

Also, how tall are you?
  • Sunnypatel93Sunnypatel93 Member Posts: 14 Member Member Posts: 14 Member
    Generally I feel 1200 is too low for anyone - if you google search for some calorie calculators, put in your data and see what they come out with. Check out 3-4 different sites, and take an average, then modify the number in your MFP to represent that number.

Do this for a week or two, and check your results. If you think youre losing too quick, add some more calories on. If you think you arent losing much, take some calories off (only by small margins, such as 100-200 calories)

Ive not trusted MFP calorie intake - ive taken the approach stated above and its worked well for me.

Consuming 1200 means that your body is under so much stress from such little intake, that it will hold on to what it has - stress doesnt help with weight loss.

I hope this helps!
  • noel2fitnoel2fit Member Posts: 220 Member Member Posts: 220 Member
    Definitely workout daily and eat back those exercise calories! A 30-45min run should get you up to 1500 at least. I've also found it's easier when I just drink black coffee for breakfast and then have a "normal" lunch/dinner. Basically intermittent fasting, but just for the sake of getting to choose more normal items rather than having to make quinoa, salad, and boiled eggs a meal... Drinking loads of herbal tea surrounding snack time has been helpful for me too. An apple and 2 cups of herbal tea is easier to keep myself on track than if I'm downing handfuls of almonds and cheese and crackers for snack.
  • Strudders67Strudders67 Member Posts: 903 Member Member Posts: 903 Member
    As noted above, you don't mention your height or current weight. Nor do you state how you track / calculate your exercise burn or whether you eat your exercise calories. One other point - do you weigh, in grams, everything you eat / use in cooking? And do you check the database entries that you use when logging your food?

I'm 5' 1.5" and didn't have a huge amount to lose to get in to Normal BMI (but my goal was to get to the middle of Normal). Per MFP, when I started, my maintenance cals were 1450. As MFP won;t allow you to go below 1200, it didn't matter what rate I selected to lose at, MFP gave me 1200 cals. So, I started with a deficit of 250 (0.5lb a week) but, as I gradually lost weight, that deficit got smaller and smaller. However, I was eating considerably more than 1200 a day, because I logged my exercise and ate those calories. No way could I have exercised at the gym and only eaten 1200 cals. I also weighed everything and double checked every diary item against the packaging or the supermarket's website to check that the nutrition info of the entry I was selecting was correct.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 19,493 Member Member, Premium Posts: 19,493 Member
    1200 was way too low for me personally, even when I had 50+ pounds to lose, while sedentary and age 59 (plus hypothyroid, if that matters - I think it doesn't). How fast did you tell MFP you wanted to lose weight, what does your daily life non-exercise activity (job, home) look like, how tall/old are you and at what weight now? 1200 is too low for a lot of people; maybe it's too low for you.

Personally, I lost fine eating 1400-1600 and more (slowed loss intentionally as I got closer to goal), *plus* all carefully-estimated exercise calories: Down 50 pounds in just less than a year, have maintained a healthy weight for around 5 years since. I'm not saying that calorie level will work for everyone, because we're all individuals . . . but it isn't unusual around here to see women trying to eat 1200 (or less!) when there are other options.
  • MsOpusMsOpus Member, Premium Posts: 97 Member Member, Premium Posts: 97 Member
    To answer everyone's questions, I am 5'1". I need to lose at least 50 lbs but 60 or 70 would be great too.
    I do weigh and measure food. Not my first rodeo.
    And I have to eat back my excercise. I tell people that I run just so I can eat. I seriously am so famished after running its hard to stay within the calories.
    I never have counted calorie burn with strength training but I also haven't been able to keep up with that as well since gyms are closed.
    I have a sedentary desk job. I miss being on my feet all day. Trying to learn how to compensate for that too.
  • Strudders67Strudders67 Member Posts: 903 Member Member Posts: 903 Member
    MsOpus wrote: »
    To answer everyone's questions, I am 5'1". I need to lose at least 50 lbs but 60 or 70 would be great too.
    I do weigh and measure food. Not my first rodeo.
    And I have to eat back my excercise. I tell people that I run just so I can eat. I seriously am so famished after running its hard to stay within the calories.
    I never have counted calorie burn with strength training but I also haven't been able to keep up with that as well since gyms are closed.
    I have a sedentary desk job. I miss being on my feet all day. Trying to learn how to compensate for that too.

You're half an inch shorter than me. To get to the middle of Normal BMI, I needed to lose 30lb. I also have a sedentary desk job. I weighed just under 150lb when I started and MFP calculated my maintenance to be 1450. As you presumably weigh more than I did (if you think that losing 70lbs would be good), your maintenance is probably higher than 1450. My suggestion would be to change your Guided Set Up, briefly, to find out what MFP thinks you need to eat to maintain your current weight. You know that anything below that will/ should see you losing weight, albeit possibly a little slower than you'd like.

My suggestion would be to then play around with different foods, as janejellyroll suggests, and try more fibre / more protein to see if that helps fuel your runs. Log your intake, log your runs and use the app to check that your weekly Net Average doesn't exceed your maintenance number.

With a small deficit, your rate of loss will be small, but persevere. I went for several weeks at a time without seeing any movement on the scales, then suddenly I'd realise that I'd dropped a bit more. As long as you're logging everything accurately and eating less than you need to maintain, you will lose weight. It's far better to go slowly and not be hungry than to sabotage your weight loss because you want to eat half the contents of a buffet table.
  • monrlmonrl Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    Mine is set at 1240. I exercise daily and eat back some of those calories. I never feel hungry - typical day for me is an egg and dry toast for breakfast (approx 150 cal), fruit for a mid morning snack (100-150 cal), chicken or beef stir fry for lunch (no rice/pasta, just meat and veg) (300-400 cal) and supper is usually some form of meat and veggies (300-500 cal). Most evenings I have a handful of crackers or chips, as well, roughly 100 cal worth. I drink black coffee and water throughout the day. Where my deficit is so aggressive, I also don’t stress if I go over (especially on weekends, when I choose to have a drink or two). Good luck finding what works for you! I’ve been losing 1.5-2 pounds a week for 8 weeks now eating like this and I am 5’2”