Figuring out macros

....I dont understand it and math isn't my thing and it wouldn't let me set it up to what this other site said my macros should be... what am I doing wrong???

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    ....I dont understand it and math isn't my thing and it wouldn't let me set it up to what this other site said my macros should be... what am I doing wrong???

If you're using free MFP, you can only set macros in percentages of your calories, and only in 5% increments, so you may not be able to get exactly the numbers you want. If you're trying to get X, Y, Z grams of macronutrients from other site, but trying to do that within a calorie estimate that was generated by MFP, that's unlikely to work out arithmetically. Each macro has a characteristic calorie level (protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram), so specific numbers for each macro imply a particular calorie level.

Most outside calculators estimate TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which includes exercise; MFP estimates NEAT (everything *except* exercise) and expects you to log exercise separately when you do it, and eat back those calories, too. Trying to take some aspects from one calculator, and some from another, would be like trying to use metric wrenches on imperial-measure bolts, it just won't work out properly.

That's sort of generic information. I can't be more specific without knowing much more exactly what you're trying to do.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Set your calorie goal to what you want and then adjust your macro percentages until you get them as close as you can. You can't get any more precise with the free version.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    What is "this other site"?
    What did it say? (There are different ways to use macro limits/guidelines)
    Why does that macro set up appeal to you?

As you are new here you might not realise that your personal stats are not visible to anyone but you so there's no personal context. Without knowing what you are doing no-one can say if you are doing it wrong. :smiley: