comparing fitbit to bodybugg - links

Replies

• lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Thanks for posting this!
    I think that this is the best chunck of information in there....

"Logging Activity
    So, what do you do if you're doing one of those activities or swimming?

The bodybugg allows you to add activities if it has detected off body time (off body time will be editable if the device is off for 30 minutes or more during user-defined waking hours).

The fitbit allows you to log activity any time during the day. Actually, I found this part a little weird. Although I really like the idea of being able to 'correct' inaccurate readings - like when I'm biking or skating, I also had to log my runs - even though it knew that I was performing vigorous activity. So, when I log my run, instead of burning 35 calories every 5 minutes, it jumped to 54 calories per minute. Additionally, I needed to know my running pace (which I don't). When I guessed, it estimated that I burned an incredibly high number of calories! So, I had to futz with it.

Now, here's where the fitbit really breaks down for me: Me futzing with it, is one thing, but a user who isn't as aware of his/her level of effort, might really overestimate the number of calories that the activity truly burned. Because the bodybugg has 4 sensors & the fitbit only has one, in my opinion, it is a really smart pedometer.

One other piece that breaks down for me with the fitbit (and this goes for heart rate monitors too) is that neither consider body composition. Two women weighing 150 lbs can burn very different numbers based on body fat levels (30% versus 17%: the woman with lower bodyfat will burn more calories at rest and during exercise because she has a higher body composition of muscle). With the bodybugg, a user doesn't have to know his/her bodyfat percent, but because the bodybugg has a body temperature sensor (muscle has a higher temperature than fat) it is accurate in spite of the user's entered bodyfat percent.

Round 4 Winner
    While the CDC estimates that 67% of Americans are either overweight or obese & 56% want to lose weight, I'm focusing on weight loss with the review of these tools, because in my experience, that's what most people are looking to these tools to help them accomplish.

Accuracy is crucial when it comes to the success of these tools; Lots of folks are successful with losing weight, but not many have figured out how to maintain that weight loss. Accuracy is important because the tool shows exactly the number of calories a person needs to eat in order to maintain their weight loss and activity level. Because 95% of folks who lose weight, regain that lost weight, it shows us that as a nation, we're alright on the losing part - where we need help is on the maintaining side. If I don't know how many calories I'm burning, I don't know how many calories I can eat in order to maintain my weight loss.

Although the fitbit activity graphing display is a little nicer, In my opinion, the bodybugg is the clear winner in this round."
This discussion has been closed.