New to MFP

I have tried MFP so so many times , what gets me is that it’s not as convenient to track the food. If I want to weigh my food and track It by grams, I cannot input the number of grams/ounces/ml etc. Am I the only one that either doesn’t know how to track correctly on this app bc it’s so confusing to me since it’s not straightforward. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I have tried MFP so so many times , what gets me is that it’s not as convenient to track the food. If I want to weigh my food and track It by grams, I cannot input the number of grams/ounces/ml etc. Am I the only one that either doesn’t know how to track correctly on this app bc it’s so confusing to me since it’s not straightforward. 🤦🏻‍♀️

What do you mean when you say you can't input the amount? Are you using the phone/tablet app, or the web version of MFP. Either way, you should be able to input the serving amount. Are you trying to use the scanner?

Or is it that you can't find the things that have the grams as a quantity option?

At first, it can take a little time to find the database entries that are in grams, but they mostly exist (sometimes one needs to use the drop-down on one in some other units, to find the gram option). Where they don't exist, you can create them from the food label, or using entries in the USDA food database.

Another option, if there's a correct database entry in cups (or whatever) per the food label, you can do the arithmetic on the fly to enter your serving. For example, a kind of cottage cheese I eat is 80 calories for a 1/2C serving that's 110g. Knowing this, I can weigh my serving out, and if it's 110g, I can use the database entry for 1/2C. If it's (say) 130g, I figure 130 divided by 110, which is 1.18, so I enter it as 1.18 servings of 1/2C. Pretty easy, since there's a calculator app on all my devices. Sometimes it's easy enough to do the arithmetic in my head.

Once you get most of your routine foods figured out, they hand around and show up first in searches (on phone/tablet apps) or in the recent/frequent food tabs, as long as you keep eating those foods semi-regularly.