Low carb AND low sodium?? Is it even possible?

I'm a type 2 diabetic and Dr has put me on a 40-55 g total carbs per meal ( that is a whole different topic itself) and I'm finding that as I putting together my meal plans on paper, I can keep my carbs with in range, but sodium always seems high. Who knew vegetables had sodium??? Is it even possible to have low carbs and low sodium?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    It should be possible. You'll have to cook for yourself. You'll have to checkout salt substitutes and herbs and spices. Your palate will need some time to adjust. You'll know when you eat something at a restaurant or not prepared by you and it tastes too salty.
  • formein2015
    formein2015 Posts: 4 Member
    This is based from my own cooking, 80 percent fresh cooking, 20 percent prepackaged, boxed meals ( hamburger helper, etc.). I don't eat out because of the pandemic and as a diabetic, the closest to fast food I ever get near is Subway.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,846 Member
    Did your doctor tell you to also go low sodium? Yes, also vegetables contain salt, but generally at very low amounts. Are you using correct database entries? What kind of veggies are your eatnig?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    I eat low salt, and fresh vegetables are very low salt.

Canned vegetables and beans have a lot of salt.