Is it true that the average person eats 2kg of food a day?

Options
cyaneverfat
cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Well...?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Is that the weight as we consume it?

If I take myself as an example:
    - breakfast = around 285 grams
    - Lunch = 250-350 grams
    - Dinner = 500-800 grams of cooked weight (but a lot more than that if you're counting the raw weight of the ingredients)
    - snacks: perhaps 50-100 grams
    -> 1085 - 1535 grams

Just based on my own diary I see quite large variations depending on the specific foods and dishes I'm consuming.
    I can imagine huge variations depending on the kinds of food we eat (raw versus cooked, calorie dense foods versus nutrient dense foods,...) and of course how many calories we consume.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Is that the weight as we consume it?

I think it's once it makes it onto our plate, like it would be veges after the water had been drained.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Well...?

Depends on the study and country.
    So how does it break out? The figure is a little hard to swallow: 1,996 pounds, or nearly one ton. This is an estimate of how much — by weight — the average American eats over the course of one year. The figure comes from economists who crunched food consumption data collected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/12/31/144478009/the-average-american-ate-literally-a-ton-this-year#:~:text=So how does it break,the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

That comes down to about 5 lbs a day or 2.3 kilograms. So according to that study yes.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have a link that shows what these numbers are actually based on? There are several links in the article, but none that I have seen that explain the origins of the numbers in the tables...
    Thoin wrote: »
    Well...?

So how does it break out? The figure is a little hard to swallow: 1,996 pounds, or nearly one ton. This is an estimate of how much — by weight — the average American eats over the course of one year. The figure comes from economists who crunched food consumption data collected by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/12/31/144478009/the-average-american-ate-literally-a-ton-this-year#:~:text=So how does it break,the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

That comes down to about 5 lbs a day or 2.3 kilograms. So according to that study yes.

Without knowing where the numbers come from, I would take the final results with a grain of salt.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Not something that's ever crossed my mind to think about...I don't really know why it would be meaningful data really. But that's about 4 Lbs...doesn't seem like anything crazy to me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Including liquids that have nutritional/calorie content, like soups and soda pop? Plausible.

I added up the foods from a routine day (I log in grams) and got 2,192g. (Does not include plain water, includes other logged beverages.)

I wonder whether the stats include food thrown out after purchase, though, i.e. wasted at the consumer end.

It's seems pointless, though, as an isolated stat.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of those signs I see at zoos that talk about how much an elephant eats - it's pretty phenomenal, really, but beyond the "wow" factor it's not particularly informative.

Now I'm curious about how many calories elephants need, though...apparently it's more than 70,000 for male African elephants in captivity, and more in the wild.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Or how gorillas can eat 40 lbs per day. Humans eating 2kg is pretty efficient by comparison.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    Chickadees eat about 35% of their body weight every day. Hummingbirds eat about 100% of their body weight every day. Bird-like appetites....

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Chickadees eat about 35% of their body weight every day. Hummingbirds eat about 100% of their body weight every day. Bird-like appetites....

If your heart beat as fast as a hummingbird, I bet you could eat 100% of your body weight, too! :D
    Anywhere from 250-1200 beats per minute. That's some goood metabolism.
  • iPaint82
    iPaint82 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of those signs I see at zoos that talk about how much an elephant eats - it's pretty phenomenal, really, but beyond the "wow" factor it's not particularly informative.

Now I'm curious about how many calories elephants need, though...apparently it's more than 70,000 for male African elephants in captivity, and more in the wild.

That’s a fascinating article. Thanks for sharing!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I drink about 2 to 3l of fluid per day, mostly tea. This already amounts to about 2-3kg. Of course this goes down the drain again. No idea what to do with this info though.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link that shows what these numbers are actually based on? There are several links in the article, but none that I have seen that explain the origins of the numbers in the tables...
    Thoin wrote: »
    Well...?

Without knowing where the numbers come from, I would take the final results with a grain of salt.

Sources are at the bottom which I found from the link I posted.

joc0yejbkhkl.jpg
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a "volume herbivore", and easily eat 500 - 600 g of raw and/or cooked veggies per meal. Add a bit of protein, and sure-- I could easily consume 1600-1800 g (1.6-1.8 Kg) a day--not including beverages.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    That chart above confuses me...the biggest category is non-cheese dairy. So, not cheese, not butter (in its own category), and dairy beverages are broken down in that category to 181 of the 600 pound estimate.

What the heck does the other 419 pounds include? I know we don't eat THAT much yogurt....
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    I'll also point out that all of this data seems to be based on food that was purchased. Given the amount of food waste that happens, actual consumption I would assume to be smaller than these numbers.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    That chart above confuses me...the biggest category is non-cheese dairy. So, not cheese, not butter (in its own category), and dairy beverages are broken down in that category to 181 of the 600 pound estimate.

What the heck does the other 419 pounds include? I know we don't eat THAT much yogurt....

Only 24 pounds of that is ice cream (according to the infographic), so I'm really unsure what it could be.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Cream perhaps? (I wouldn't class that as a milk beverage :mrgreen: )
    Obviously yoghurt, and also frozen yoghurt (which I presume doesn't fall under ice-cream)?

And cottage cheese/cream cheese, do those count as cheese or, despite the name, non-cheese dairy?