What do you do when you have a bad day?

Options
2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days.

What raises a red flag is you say a lot of "I gave up this and I gave up that"

That's a sign of future "bad days"

I would just plan for these "I gave up foods" when you want them into your daily calories....to avoid or lessen as much as possible any future "bad days"

Remember, this is a permanent lifestlye change. And restricting things often does not lead to success.

Food is not the enemy....everything in moderation.
    This.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    the body doesn't have a stopwatch that it checks at the end of every day .. averaging your MFP goal calories over a full week is pretty sensible as is upping the exercise too if you're eating a lot of rich foods .. provided you still come out at the end of the week on track overall then bouncing around in terms of daily calorie intake is fine, in fact it's meant to help the body not get too 'used' to a daily smaller portion and adjust to it - well done for enjoying your food that day and taking control the next :)
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It aint easy just bounce back when you can. I have been getting steroid injections and oWOW what an appetite stimulant. Needless to say it is wearing off a little and I can quit this demanding appetite!!
  • NewGoalsInMind
    Options
    I have been using MFP for about 2 weeks now and I must say it's been really easy for me. I think I have probably already lost close to 10 pounds. I gave up soda which was easy, I gave up sweets which was also easy, and MFP has helped me to give up snacking. With that said I don't know that I want to give up some high calorie days once in a while. Yesterday we went to a beerfest with some friends, I had lots of beer and then went to Old Chicago and had a big meal. It was hard to estimate the beer calories because we were doing lots of 2oz samples but I would say I was at about 3300 to 3500 calories yesterday and my goal is 2000. I certainly don't feel like a fell of the wagon, I was up early and hit the treadmill just like I do everyday but I had a bad day. I'm going to continue to have those days a few times a month but 95% of the time I am going to stick with it. So when you have those high calorie days do you try and fix it the next day by eating in a serious deficit or do you just move on?

One bad day did not pile up the pounds and it certainly won't ruin what you have accomplished. I try to learn from my bad days and move forward the next day. I do give myself a cheat day almost once week (not that I go totally crazy, I just eat foods that I no longer eat so much (pizza)). Goodluck on this journey!! : )
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I usually weep in a corner somewhere...
    <grin>

One thing I DON'T do is hit the scale for a few days...Just get back in the saddle and boil some chicken...lol
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Awe man do I miss pizza.
  • blackcows15
    blackcows15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days.

What raises a red flag is you say a lot of "I gave up this and I gave up that"

That's a sign of future "bad days"

I would just plan for these "I gave up foods" when you want them into your daily calories....to avoid or lessen as much as possible any future "bad days"

Remember, this is a permanent lifestlye change. And restricting things often does not lead to success.

Food is not the enemy....everything in moderation.

I used to drink soda out of habit, it was something to keep me busy. I like tea and I don't mind water so I guess while I don't drink soda anymore I don't miss it so maybe I didn't really give it up I just don't drink it anymore. Same thing with sugar snacks, we have nutty bars, star crunch, all kinds of high calorie snacks in the house which I ate, don't know that I craved them but they were really easy to pick up and eat. Tear open the package and eat. I now make sure I have fruit ready to eat and also by logging foods it reminds me that I don't really want this, it's just a habit and I default to water.

I do understand what you are saying if I had to give up tacos, pizza, beer, etc than it would be a no go, I would fail. Now I am just smarter about how I eat those things.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    the body doesn't have a stopwatch that it checks at the end of every day .. averaging your MFP goal calories over a full week is pretty sensible as is upping the exercise too if you're eating a lot of rich foods .. provided you still come out at the end of the week on track overall then bouncing around in terms of daily calorie intake is fine, in fact it's meant to help the body not get too 'used' to a daily smaller portion and adjust to it - well done for enjoying your food that day and taking control the next :)

This is precisely what I was going to say. I knew that I was going to an Independence Day event with gourmet food trucks. I ate 500 calories less than MFP's recommendation on July 3, and I ate 500 calories less than MFP's recommendation on July 5. That freed up 1,000 calories. I did the same when I knew I was going to have some cake on my daughter's birthday. It worked beautifully. Sometimes, though, you can't plan for those bad days. When that is the case, it may take you several days to recover. But you will recover. So don't sweat the occasional bump in the road. If you stress out over a bad day, it can snowball. Before long, we'll be wondering, "Where is that cool guy who likes his beer?"
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for about 2 weeks now and I must say it's been really easy for me. I think I have probably already lost close to 10 pounds. I gave up soda which was easy, I gave up sweets which was also easy, and MFP has helped me to give up snacking. With that said I don't know that I want to give up some high calorie days once in a while. Yesterday we went to a beerfest with some friends, I had lots of beer and then went to Old Chicago and had a big meal. It was hard to estimate the beer calories because we were doing lots of 2oz samples but I would say I was at about 3300 to 3500 calories yesterday and my goal is 2000. I certainly don't feel like a fell of the wagon, I was up early and hit the treadmill just like I do everyday but I had a bad day. I'm going to continue to have those days a few times a month but 95% of the time I am going to stick with it. So when you have those high calorie days do you try and fix it the next day by eating in a serious deficit or do you just move on?

So great to hear MFP has made things easy!! Seeing the cals in some of these foods is an eyeopener...that's for sure!! I find that I eat what I want...no cal limits at all...most weekends and still lose most weeks when I behave during the weekdays.

I just move on. My weekends usually consist of 3000-4000 cal days. Then, come Monday, I typically go back to my MFP recommended 1200/day. You know what you have to do...and...just do it!!! That's the only way it'll get done. Once you're into this routine for a few more weeks...or a few months...it'll be easy.

Good luck!!!
  • RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This journey is hard and sometimes you will have a bad day, but the key is to get up and keep going forward. Eventually you won't have a bad day. Just stay positive and try to stay healthy
This discussion has been closed.