Fighting Old Age like a boss!

Options
2»

Replies

• AuthorMatthewV
    AuthorMatthewV Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    I'll be 50 in May. Mind says 30. Body says you wish.
    Rock on middle agers!

I’m convinced that we 50ish people were surrounded by unhealthy 50ish people growing up and have a completely misguided idea of the age.

Islandgal...you look amazing. Embrace it! My mind is stuck at 27...that was such a good year...
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    60 and going strong! MFP has changed my trajectory!
  • AuthorMatthewV
    Options
    Zinka61 wrote: »
    60 and going strong! MFP has changed my trajectory!

Making 60 look good!!!!
  • MeanLean65
    MeanLean65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fiddy five here. We've got wisdom and experience on our sides!
    I do Jiu Jitsu four times a week, Hot Yoga three times a week. A little weight lifting and hiking thrown in
    Looooong warm ups, good nutritional habits, and getting good sleep have become more crucial to keeping fit and injury free.
    No (or very limited) alcohol.

When I'm dialed in and really taking care of myself, I can sometimes hang with a much younger person on the mats who might be a little hung over, didn't sleep well the night before, has been eating junk food all week, etc. LOL. :)

As the song goes "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."
    Good job everyone.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    50 here and boy do I feel like it ughhh

You’ve got this! Smartiepants know it’s only a number

That's right.

I come from a line of long-lived peoples. My great grandparents were basically living on dirt and pinecones. Food was scarce. They didn't have anything. No vitamins. No fruits and vege at the grocery store. I could tell you some stories that would make you bawl your head off but that wouldn't convince you that age is only a number. Sure, genetics are involved but don't ever let age or circumstances become too painful to bear.

We can't throw our hands up in the air in defeat. Don't cry big tears and feel like the victim of age. It will make you feel powerless over your circumstances.
    You don't want to go out like that. Age is a door that we're all walking through. Do it with dignity and might and fight, fight, fight. There's the other extreme where some are still stuck in high school because that's where they peaked. There's far more to life than living through your exploits at high school, four formative years and trying to convince everyone that your high school yearbook picture is who you really are. That's pulling the wool over you own eyes.

We are not a victim of age. To deny our dreams is to deny ourselves. So get out there and blow all of the stinkin' thinkin' off and wring everything you can out of your life.
  • AuthorMatthewV
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    50 here and boy do I feel like it ughhh

You’ve got this! Smartiepants know it’s only a number

That's right.

I come from a line of long-lived peoples. My great grandparents were basically living on dirt and pinecones. Food was scarce. They didn't have anything. No vitamins. No fruits and vege at the grocery store. I could tell you some stories that would make you bawl your head off but that wouldn't convince you that age is only a number. Sure, genetics are involved but don't ever let age or circumstances become too painful to bear.

We can't throw our hands up in the air in defeat. Don't cry big tears and feel like the victim of age. It will make you feel powerless over your circumstances.
    You don't want to go out like that. Age is a door that we're all walking through. Do it with dignity and might and fight, fight, fight. There's the other extreme where some are still stuck in high school because that's where they peaked. There's far more to life than living through your exploits at high school, four formative years and trying to convince everyone that your high school yearbook picture is who you really are. That's pulling the wool over you own eyes.

We are not a victim of age. To deny our dreams is to deny ourselves. So get out there and blow all of the stinkin' thinkin' off and wring everything you can out of your life.

I love this! Diatonic...you might be my new spiritual advisor, lol.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    IslandGal3 wrote: »
    I'll be 50 in May. Mind says 30. Body says you wish.
    Rock on middle agers!

Compromise... 40.. 😜
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Seeing your post fighting aging was a light bulb moment that’s what I am trying to do !!! My body doesn’t move as my mind wants it too. Metabolism slowing down sucks ! I am going to keep moving & staying young at heart yet enjoying some good food & life - add me as a motivational friend if you wish
  • 10Licker
    10Licker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm about to turn 44 and am beginning to feel the impact of middle age. Slower metabolism and slower overall weight loss which is super discouraging. Would love any advice and encouragement through the process. Thanks friends!
  • Diatonic12
    edited April 2021
    Options
    No more massive rationalization and excuses. I'm speaking only in general because age and weight are too deeply felt principles.

Slower metabolism and slower overall weight loss followed by massive amounts of frownie faces. :(:(:( Don't go there. Don't let yourself become miserable over data points. Start swimming like a salmon UP-stream.

The brain is a bully and this is what the mind does when one reaches their highest weight. The brain turns it back around and works up every rationalization and excuse known to humans. It starts pointing fingers while mostly refusing to take full responsibility for the eating excursions that were going on for months or years or decades before the dawn comes to light.

Not one time during hardly any of those eating excursions does the brain speak UP or whisper one single word about what's been going on. Noooo. The brain was riding shotgun on every eating excursion. When the consequences become too uncomfortable the brain says....'Don't look at me, I didn't do it. There's something wrong with your body. That's your problem. I was just coasting on my laurels and minding my own business.'

This is a fight. That's why they call it a battle. Don't let your brain bully you now. Fight for your overall health and well being. Take the reins to the brain back and tell your brain to just shut-up. You're back in charge now.

The appetite control center is located in the brain and not the stomach. That puts all of us on a level playing field and that's where the battle begins. There's no such thing as the Finish Line.
  • AuthorMatthewV
    Options
    No more massive rationalization and excuses. I'm speaking only in general because age and weight are too deeply felt principles.

Slower metabolism and slower overall weight loss followed by massive amounts of frownie faces. :(:(:( Don't go there. Don't let yourself become miserable over data points. Start swimming like a salmon UP-stream.

The brain is a bully and this is what the mind does when one reaches their highest weight. The brain turns it back around and works up every rationalization and excuse known to humans. It starts pointing fingers while mostly refusing to take full responsibility for the eating excursions that were going on for months or years or decades before the dawn comes to light.

Not one time during hardly any of those eating excursions does the brain speak UP or whisper one single word about what's been going on. Noooo. The brain was riding shotgun on every eating excursion. When the consequences become too uncomfortable the brain says....'Don't look at me, I didn't do it. There's something wrong with your body. That's your problem. I was just coasting on my laurels and minding my own business.'

This is a fight. That's why they call it a battle. Don't let your brain bully you now. Fight for your overall health and well being. Take the reins to the brain back and tell your brain to just shut-up. You're back in charge now.

Spiritual Advisor!!!

Wait...maybe spirit animal.
  • Diatonic12
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @AuthorMatthewV l am a grizzly bear. The half has not been told.

TRKX.gif
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Take the reins to the brain back and tell your brain to just shut-up.

I love this! I want to make it my profile quote. My new motto.

(Lost 85-90 pounds, doctor doesn't want me to lose any more, and now my brain is taunting me. Plus I see non-weight-related applications.)
  • Diatonic12
    edited April 2021
    Options

“What no one really talks about, though, is the main reason many of us fail with our weight loss efforts: our minds won't let us.”

This one has been ringing in my ears for weeks. 'Our minds won't let us.' When we get the brain running on all cylinders then the body follows.

@AuthorMatthewV

As you tool along you will find all kinds of opinions about 'Cheat Meals' but I don't even like the sound of cheat meals. It's just more of that old cat and mouse game with food.

Is it even possible to rid ourselves or change old neural pathways in the brain. Those deep grooves and ruts that keep one running around on a dieting treadmill for the rest of a life. I know someone who did completely the opposite of everything their brain told them to do. It started out as an experiment but they just kept at it while trying to chisel away at those deep grooves in the brain.

For the heckuva it, if you're bored of the same old routines - go ahead and do completely the opposite of what you'd normally do. Change it all UP. No more Gain and Blame Game.

Throw all of your dieting dogma and mind warp out with the bathwater. Give yourselves permission to do everything on our own terms.
    Rid yourselves of every dieting book sitting on your shelves - did they change anything for you then?

Clear the decks. Clean the slate. Stop overthinking everything. Stop allowing your brain to dig you into deeper holes with food.

Take the reins back. Your brain wants you to read another dieting book or follow some brutally strict protocol... Your brain wants you to live for 'cheat meals' on the weekends and more food rewards...Flip the Switch. Turn everything on its head. Do completely the
    opposite of everything you've always done that results in starting over and over and over again.

Don't overthink it. Tell your brain to shut-up and ACT.

How much of your progress are you willing to give up just to please the brain? Tell it to shut up and ACT. Keep literally moving when it tries to lead you right back to those old deep grooves and ruts. Move away from them as fast as you. Do completely the opposite every time until you can't hear that thing whine and bawl and pitch a ring-tailed baby fit. It's gonna shake, rattle and roll like an earthquake. Just roll with it until that high-pitched constant whine can no longer be heard.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,313 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Ha, guy I was volunteering with called my young last week. I told him I was 47, he thought I was 35ish. I don't mind approaching 50, but I do like that many folks say I look younger than I am. It's really even ok if they are lying to me, it still strokes my ego a bit.
  • Missmass4
    Missmass4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I’m 45 years old and if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that life just keeps getting better...congrats to all of you for living your best lives no matter what your age!!