Calories in app

I get overwhelmed with knowing what to put in for an food item in app. For instance hamburger. Today we made hamburger on grill, probably 4 oz? There were a variety of different calorie choices on the app!
I find this very frustrating and feel like I am guessing half the time.
What would a 80% lean 4 ounce burger on grill be?
And is there a way to choose the best option for food items on the my fitness pal app?

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    I'm not sure but I think using the usda website might help you more. I think you can look up both raw and cooked weights.
    Do you use a food scale, and weigh out the hambuger or other foods before cooking?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Weigh your food with a food scale and use entries that have an option for a weight measurement (grams or ounces; 28g = 1oz). Use the raw weight for stuff like hamburger patties and log any cooking fats separately. Weigh and log your burger mix-ins and sauces as well.

You may need to double-check the entry you want to use - the USDA is generally pretty reliable for meat and produce, and googling "80% lean ground beef calories per 100g" will usually pop right up with the nutrition facts. As you use the app, the entries you've used before and vetted for accuracy will show up in your Recents list. You'll also gradually develop a sense for what is reasonable.
  • Lizwood30
    Lizwood30 Posts: 2 Member
    I have to start using a scale
    I have one just have to get it out!
    I will use the USDA site.
    I had no where to look.
    Thanks