Motivation

Hi, just starting to get back on track, so hard, I have fallen off the wagon soooo many times over this last year, but I need to lose 46 pounds by September, for my surgery date for a Tummy Tuck. So I am hoping for some extra motivation in this group.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    You don't need motivation, you need discipline. Motivation is wanting to do the thing; discipline is doing it even when you don't want to. That's going to be the key, is sticking with whatever your plan is even when you don't want to do it.

I've found meal prepping to be extremely helpful - it's basically letting me get all of my thinking about breakfast/lunch done on the weekends, so I don't have to expend that energy during the week. I've already decided what to eat, I've already accounted for it in my diary, all I need to do is pick up this container and consume the contents. No more agonizing over "what should I eat/make?" while I'm hungry - I don't know about you, but when I get too hungry, there is a point after which I cannot think straight or make decisions, which usually ends with me making a decision that doesn't serve my long-term goals. (Example: There is a restaurant near my house that serves a 2,000-calorie "ultra-loaded fries" type of appetizer. There was a time when my now-husband, then-boyfriend and I would go to this restaurant on a weekly basis, sometimes more often. We would each order one of those appetizers, finish the entire thing in one go and wash it down with a beer or two. For dinner, as part of a normal 3-meals-a-day-plus-snacks eating plan, not OMAD or anything where this is a remotely workable option for people who *don't* want to be obese.)