How do you typically hand BBQ sauce on your meat?

Options
Just curious how you account for calories from BBQ sauce on your Grilled meats?

For the longest time, I just throw the meat on the grill... And let it cook as per usual. Then add however much BBQ sauce you want and continue grilling.

When completed I just bring it all in the house and I measure my meat with BBQ sauce on it... And only log it as the meat. I figure in most cases the meat is more calories then the sauce anyway. (Specially cause I use Hughes sugar free variety).

Beside how practical is it really to even try and measure the BBQ sauce before hand, cause if your like me a good bit drip down the grill and or sticks to the grill?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If you did want to account for it, I think the easiest way would be to weigh the container of sauce before and after you use it and calculate the difference.
    I'd then log all of it that you used. You can't measure what sticks to the grill any more than you can subtract the fat that renders out as you cook.
    If it were me, and I wanted to log accurately, I would do my best to count it, and not just ignore it. But, I also use a non-sugar free sauce that probably has more significant calories than yours.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Shoot the UPC label and enter an estimate of how much sauce you applied. Some of it will drip off, some of it will stick to the plate, some of it will desiccate and cook to a delicious addition to your BBQ. Then relax, worrying any more about calories takes the fun out of BBQ.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'd just eyeball how much you think is on the serving of meat you're eating. The odds of you being *significantly* off by an amount that would have any effect on your overall calorie intake is very low.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on what’s in your sauce. I’m a diabetic and a large amount of sugar-heavy sauce will spike my blood glucose. If it’s mainly mustard or vinegar based, it’s not a problem.

I usually just guess.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I am a 'add a couple of tablespoons to my diary' person.

But I do account for it because much like salad dressing stuff adds up, depending on the sauce. Some sauces (the regular/not sugar free sweet ones) have more calories in two tbsp than the chicken it's going on does.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    If it's something I dip into (i.e. fries in ketchup), I don't bother recording it. If it's a sauce my meat marinates in for a while (i.e. my crock pot honey soy chicken), then I measure out everything before mixing, calculate my percentage of the total, and add that to my log, even if I probably am not actually consuming the full amount.